Friday, June 5, 2015

Frenemies

Ah T-shirts, the frenemy of the home sewer who has learned to sew with woven fabrics. T-shirts pretend to be so easy, friendly, and achievable with their simple front and back and a couple of hems, but before you know it there's a wonky neckline or a band sitting out instead of flat, and your simple, smiley, fun T-shirt is showing off your incompetence.

Perhaps I could describe that better without anthropomorphising: T-shirts look so easy, but they are proving to be quite hard because I'm just not used to sewing with stretch fabrics. There, that's a little less emotional. However, I am not here to report my failures, which are many, but instead two small steps along the road to being a competent sewer of knits.

I made two T-shirts out of remnants picked up for $5 at a sale. That was tremendously satisfying in itself. Both were made using Kwik Sew pattern, which I have momentarily mislaid. For the first T-shirt, I substituted a neckband in the same fabric for the simple hem on the neckline shown in the pattern. Yes I know, it doesn't quite sit flat, but it's not too bad.
I also added a band at the bottom, which I really like when I'm wearing it. 
For the second T-shirt I used a pre-made stretch binding. I still need a bit of practice putting this kind of binding on, but I'm quite happy with this as a first attempt. It sits allllllllmost flat.
 I twin-needled the bottom hem. Twin-needled it. With twin needles. See?
Now we are all friends, me and the two T-shirts. And we lived happily ever after.

5 comments:

  1. Gorgeous, gorgeous fabrics! Great mastery of the t-shirt....and twin needling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooh I simply love the contrast binding - simple but sharp. Like that World t-shirt I have, it's amazing how much of a fashion statement you can make with one simple off beat colour choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your fabrics. Enjoy wearing your makes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the inspiration! These all look so beautiful. Amazingdesign clothes online example

    ReplyDelete