Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Shirty

Hello Friends,

Goodness, summer just went on and on in this part of the world, and it's only just dawned on me that it's on the way out. Nonetheless, it must be autumn, because I started to feel like a lamb roast for dinner, a bucket of feijoas arrived on my back doorstep, and I felt like updating my blog.

First up, I've made a shirt. New Look 6598 if you are someone that is interested in such details. It was easy, and so satisfying as I made it from a piece of seersucker in my vast stash of fabrics. I am always slightly amused whenever I sew seersucker into clothing because it is reminiscent of a tablecloth, and what mother hasn't felt like a kitchen accessory at one time or another?
Now that I am older and more patient I pay attention to small design details, instead of just mowing over them with a youthful devil-may-care attitude. Case in point, this small notch on the arm, which you make using a facing. Very easy and quite styley in my opinion.
The standless collar shows off the seersucker pattern rather well. Also, paying the extra money for good-quality woven interfacing has made the whole sewing experience just sooooo much better. I was given that piece of advice years ago but only recently acted on it. You were right Mary Anna.
This shirt is on an occasional rotation in my wardrobe because it needs ironing, and I am a "reluctant" ironer. Still, it's perfect for these late summer, oh lets face it, autumn, days, so perhaps I could get around to ironing a little more often.

Since we were talking of feijoas, I will leave you with the recipe for the feijoa cordial that I made last night. It's a good way of using up the runty ones.

FEIJOA CORDIAL

1.5 c white sugar
1 C water
2 t citric acid
Juice and rind of three lemons
1 C feijoa (or any type of guava) flesh, mashed with a fork

Simmer all of the ingredients together for 5 min. Cool a little, then strain through a sieve and bottle. Keep in the fridge. To make it up, dilute with 4-5 parts water, hot or cold, or soda water. You could even use it to make a parochial NZ champagne cocktail.

Other fabulous feijoa recipes here!

10 comments:

  1. Hey my comment just got wiped. something about fejoia envy and the giant seersucker 'teatowel' that served the flat so well last year. Nothing to do with your lovely blouse, such a nice colour. see you soon, here goes, 'publish' love miri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's only a matter of time before your southern variety comes into its own I'm sure. I wish you many feijoas from your hardy little tree!

      Delete
  2. You made a great job of that blouse Miss Smith and what a great use of seersucker. Feijoas are just coming in to season up here but would love to try that cordial - will put it on my list. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you! I think you should feature your fab jacket on your blog to show off that topstitching. Most inspiring!

      Delete
  3. Lovely shirt with nice details. I love a standless collar and the colour is great. Many times I've felt like a kitchen accessory but never a tablecloth! I love fejoias but they are so expensive here and I miss the days of living in Auckland and getting bags and bags of them from my friend's piddly little bush!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, the colour was what drew me to that particular piece of seersucker so I'm glad others like it too. And yes I can understand the feijoa withdrawal you must be experiencing- I didn't have my first one until I was in my twenties as they don't grow down south, but now I am a bona fide addict.

      Delete
  4. Question....how do you iron seersucker without it totally flattening out? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. p.s. I've never heard of a feijoa before!

      Delete
    2. p.p.s. Your sister is blogging again?! That's exciting news!!

      Delete
    3. Well, I guess the ironing does flatten out the wavy bits, but it also presses the facings flat and that's what needs doing with that particular shirt. But somehow the wavy bits still look wavy, even when they're a little less 3-D. The magic of seersucker hey?

      And yes I am also very excited that MA is blogging again! I miss her blog when it goes silent.

      I sincerely hope you get to try a feijoa one day (pineapple guava, by another name). They are delicious.

      Delete