Thursday, December 4, 2014

Glad I spotted ya!

Hello Friends,

Summer is upon us here in the Southern Hemisphere, and I found myself reaching into the depths of the fabric stash and patterns to make myself a bright and happy summer dress. I found some ridiculously cheerful blue fabric with bright white polka dots, a veritable symbol of summer good times.

However, one must be careful sewing with bright fabric and bold patterns. In particular, there are good reasons to NOT sew with bright blue and white polka-dotted fabric, and here they are:
 
Yes, that is Bozo the clown.

And yes, that is Minnie Mouse.
 
When sewing with polka dots, one really wants to be making something that a gorgeous person, and not a clown, would wear. Perhaps like this:
So I made my dress up using New Look 6799, which had some nice details like a roundy neck and a waist bit (these are probably real sewing terms) that I could put some piping either side of. What do you think?
 
Sorry about the slightly snotty expression - I need to work on my photo face, or perhaps my real-life face. I blame it on general malcontent related to the state of my hair. I'm growing out a fringe at the moment, and my hair's just all over the shop. I'm sure you all empathize with this kind of hair suffering. We've all been there.
 
I digress, back to the dress. There is some red piping either side of that bit in the middle, and I like that detail rather a lot. I lined the whole thing to make it easier to wear, and I'm glad I did, because it's so comfy, it's like trackies. Now, I know real sewists would show the zip and how the piping matches up at the seams etc, but I'm not going to because it's all very imperfect.
 
BUT, I love it.  A woman who I don't even know said to me in the street "I have to tell you that I LOVE your dress". She even said it in capital letters, just like that. Now that's a sewing victory, people.

11 comments:

  1. I LOVE YOUR DRESS TOO! I love aqua and red and polka dots = winner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are very kind to say so.

      Delete
  2. Your dress is stunning! You must feel happy when you wear it. Lol I did nearly spill my morning coffee at the photo of the clown...EEK! I love the way you write. Made me smile after the clown shock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow that's hilarious that Bozo almost made you choke on your coffee - sorry about that! Thank you for your kind comments about my dress, Ms Fox

      Delete
  3. Oh I also love the way you write and you simply MUST keep blogging. You have such a great turn of phrase. Cute dress, very cute dress - those waist band inserts are such a lovely feature.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your approval is very flattering MAS, being as you are such a fine sewist yourself.

      Delete
  4. Love the dress and LOVE those red shoes---I am a HUGE fan of red shoes.

    The clown did freak me out though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's lovely, and you don't look like Minnie Mouse at all

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely summery dress. Will do perfectly fro your summer holiday down south this year!! Marg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have to watch that Bozo, he could be part of a French crime ring for all you know. On the bright side, however bad your hair might seem, Bozo is really in serious hair-ville.

    ReplyDelete