Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Here comes the rain (-y print top).

Hello friends,
The air is thick with autumn-ness here, the sun is sitting lower in the sky and its light is yellow and faded, the leaves are turning from yellow to red to brown, and the smell of quinces is all through the house. I made some quince jelly this year, rather than quince paste, because I thought there was a better chance of getting around to using it. It looks beautiful...
 
But oh my stars! Somehow I missed the setting point and it is rather hard and rubbery. I'm glad you can't tell that from a photo. I will pretend it's supposed to be like that, cutting it into hard little pieces as required and calling it "quince jelly jubes". I really do fancy myself as a good jam maker and this is somewhat of a humbling experience. Oh well, I'll pick myself up by the bootstraps and make some more when I get some more quinces.

In sewing news, I am pleased to report that I have now successfully used a facing, rather than bias strips, to complete a neckline. It works surprisingly well when you follow all of the instructions (I often skip interfacing, but this time I didn't). I did all the layering and understitching malarkey and well I never, it really does sit flat. I also handstitched the facings onto back of the shoulder seams and that helps a lot with making it sit flat too. I found this rainy fabric with its autumn colours just irresistible, especially at $6 per metre.

Here's one of my favourite parts, the label that I unpicked from an old tie years ago and have kept all this time, stitched on the back so that my top looks like a bought one. Entirely for my own amusement as no one else will see it, but if one can't amuse oneself then that is a very sad existence indeed.
(I just had one of those "I'm becoming my father" moments. He used to save EVERYTHING and once in a blue moon when he used a hinge or a rusty nail or whatever he'd say "I'm so glad I kept that"). I really do miss him sometimes.

12 comments:

  1. Congrats on your sewing success!! That is cute fabric.
    That is a cute story about your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle- my sewing is improving slowly but surely.

      Delete
  2. beautiful post about beautiful things. you've inspired me to sew a rainy top! 'twould be appropriate for my location. your writing is gorgeous, didya know that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so kind- and yes a blustery rainy print would be perfect for Wgtn. Or perhaps something ironic, like a tropical print? That'd mix it up.

      Delete
  3. The tag! What a fantastic idea. I love things like that. Well done on your vest, too--sewn facings are tricky, I find. I'd also quite like to have some of that quince jam, cut up into little candies. Sounds gorgeous. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristen if you are ever passing by I'd be delighted to serve you quince jubes with a nice cuppa tea.

      Delete
  4. I love that rainy print top! Simply gorgeous! And I would go and buy some of that fabric right now if I could - but I have forbidden from buying any more fabric from young Benjamin who insists that I have far too much already, and if I am going to buy even more, then I have to buy him more lego.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it is so hard to abstain from fabric purchasing, even when one has far too much already. However, there are definite similarities to lego purchasing there. Too much is never enough, of fabric and of lego.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if your tie label is from the Sy Devore shop in Los Angeles, who clothed Jerry Lewis and Bob Hope? http://articles.latimes.com/1990-12-07/news/vw-6254_1_sy-devore

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that really would be awesome. I just liked the label, but the back-story is way better!

      Delete
  7. Impressive sewing Jen from one who's biggest achievement in the last 20 years was putting a hem on curtains last week. To be followed by adding a detachable lining. that one still in the wings. You can wear that top here any time for a laugh, just need a coat handy for warmth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes I still have detachable linings breathing down my neck, as it were. I proposed to make some shorts for harry but he said, "Only if they're not too uncool". Pah!

      Delete