Tuesday, February 11, 2014

George, and Lilac Spuds

This monkey is called George.
I made his dapper little suit last weekend, because the sewing machine was out when he came to stay, and I thought it would only take 30 minutes. It all started off so well, the pants were a snip and the jacket was going together nicely. I had the outer and lining sewn and was just putting them together when I realized that I had cut an extra sleeve instead of a back piece. Now the sensible thing to do would be to recut a back piece and resew the lining. But oh no. I thought "I'll just cut another panel and slot it in." Well, a piece that doesn't fit still doesn't fit if you add in extra bits. You can imagine how frought with difficulties that was. Honestly, the language! It would have made a sailor blush. Anyway all's well that ends well. The suit jacket turned out to be coolio. Lesson: Just go back a step and fix the mistake. Remind me of this next time, please.
 
Unrelated, but interesting if you like potatoes or sibling rivalry. When I was down in Dunedin recently, my Mum pointed to my sister's potato plants and said "Look at those! They're better than yours!", closely followed by "Well don't give me THAT look, they're better than mine, too". Well the photo below is for you, Mum and Miriam, look how crazy beautiful and perfect my purple heart potatoes turned out: 

And even better when covered in light cream, parmesan, garlic, salt, and pepper and then baked for 1 hour at 200 degrees C, which is what I did immediately after taking this photo. 


12 comments:

  1. awww he's so cute - nice jacket Miss Smith - sometimes quick saves really can be quick saves so don't beat yourself up about it ... but swearing like a sailor while sewing is going badly is clearly genetic (no offense mum).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to know that it's not my fault about my bad language when sewing is going badly! It's so good to have genes to blame.

      Delete
  2. ooooh yes, potatoes look lovely. Not sure that my seed potatoes are purple heart after all. They are darker, sort of blue black. Nice baking dish too. I think I just fancy a potato bake myself now that I've seen that. I have 2 other potatoes on the grow, Highlander and Cliff's Kidney. The name of the latter is a little unnerving.
    The jacket is very cute. I have never had much success with most shortcuts of any sort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you'd like that baking dish. I got at the Hospice shop you might like to know. We grew Cliff's kidney once and they were great- I'm sure yours will be good.

      Delete
  3. Room 5 loves George's new clothes. They are AMAZING! He has never looked so flash in his life! We might have to arrange a visit so Ryan the Lion can have his wardrobe upgraded too.
    - Sally and Room 5 Nelson Central School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally that's so kind of you to say so. And of course Ryan is welcome to come and stay for the weekend any time.

      Delete
  4. I think you are about to have an entire zoo-worth of animals trotting to your place, with demands for you to smarten up their autumn wardrobes!

    As for the potatoes, they look fantastic. You should take up food photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a wonderful food photographer yourself I feel very flattered that you should be so taken with my picture of the tatties. They really did look beautiful and even more so in real life.

      Delete
  5. Oh hey lovely Miss Smith, thanks so much for adding me to your sidebar! I get quite a lot of traffic from your blog, old buddy old pal (this is what Master F calls his best friend - I've no idea why, since they're both only 6 years old. But it's quite catchy!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello again! I am one who commented on your pink lamington recipe awhile back, and wanted to thank you for the recipe. My daughters and I have made it quite a few times, who can resist a pink dessert? I have a question though - being an American, and not being familiar with lamingtons so much, is the jelly supposed to soak into the cake (like a jell-o poke cake)? My jelly/jell-o just kind of globs up and coats the cake, but it doesn't soak in at all. It is still yummy, but I was just curious about what it should be. I want to serve it to friends for a tea party and want to make sure I am doing it right :) Also, those baby monsters from an earlier post are so cute; may I use that idea and give them as presents? Hope you are well, and thanks for your blog; I am not much of a blog reader but I like to catch yours every now and then, it is a very relaxing and enjoying read. -Beth from Maryland USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Beth,
      Thanks for your comment, and I'm so glad you are enjoying lamingtons-they sound perfect. The jelly is supposed to sit on the outer surface of the cake and not soak in too far, so you are doing everything right. You can split them down the middle and pipe in some whipped cream if you are feeling very fancy. They are often served like that a bakeries or tea rooms.
      Also, please do feel free to make the monster babies- they were from a book so I can't take any credit for the idea myself.
      Enjoy your tea party!
      Best, Miss Smith

      Delete
  7. Miss Smith,
    Oh, I feel better now! And cream in the middle sounds yummy, though they are wonderful just as they are. And I may try your blueberry version - maybe my sons would prefer that to all the pink - ha! Thanks again, and best wishes... Beth

    ReplyDelete