Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sewin, cookin, and being good lookin


Hello friends, 

Why didn't I start de-stashing sooner? This using-what-I-have phase is so satisfying! So cheap! So very inexpensive! And did I mention cost-effective? Most latterly off my sewing machine is a new top, made from a Japanese cotton gifted to me by my neighbour. 

The pattern, New Look 6080, was simple and yet had nice little design features, like french darts and cute little pintucks. Instead of using a facing, I finished the neckline with a bias-strip made from the same fabric. Here are those features up close: 

It's a great late-summer top to go with jeans or a skirt. I'm wearing it lots.

Speaking of tomatoes, because we were doing that last post, thanks for the recommendations for things to make. I made another Annabel Langbein recipe, harvest tomato sauce, and it is tomato-sational. The best thing I've made this season. Sorry, make that best equal, since I also made the tomato sauce recipe out of the Edmonds book, which turned out to be fabulous. This fabulous:

Yes it's just about all gone after a few sessions of saussies, fish'n'chips, and homemade chippies. Nom nom nom.

And since the title of this post includes "being good lookin", I will finish up by telling you that I spent my Christmas gift voucher from my father-in-law on a new lipstick and some mascara. It's the first make up I've bought in about 5 years. It felt good. 
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. We're waiting on a sauce shipment from mum. My dad grows enough tomatoes to feed a small town and she makes them into drinkable tomato sauce - its so good I slurp it when no one is looking! Cool top :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh to have a Dad that grows so many tomoatoes! We buy ours, but at this time of year they're very cheap, so I'm not complaining too much.

      Delete
  2. Very cool top and lovely NEAT topstitching! What a star!

    Very interested in your tomato sauce - I very much want to add a more wholesome sauce to our repertoire of what Mr Boo will eat - however, it would have to be made from spray free or organic tomatoes and sourcing those is either very difficult or very expensive. Still am inspired by you to give it a shot!

    MAS x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNEW you'd comment on my nice neat top-stitching! Well it's very gratifying that you noticed. I will wear it in Wellington, boo yakka!

      Delete
  3. That top is lovely and as for making your own bias binding, and applying it neatly, I am impressed.
    The lookin didn't come up on my post header and I did wonder what you had been good about but of course, it was good lookin. I should have guessed.
    I have a tomato installment arriving tomorrow and there is a dearth of jars out there. Every op shop I went to had been cleaned out. You are right to hold on to them.
    Miri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always knew my hoarding was necessary. Simon quite often says "but why do you need to keep all these jars?" and I say "Because I need them" and that is the truth. I would give you some if you were a little closer. Tonight I got a big bag of those yummy black peaches and that is sending me all giddy with excitement. Jam? Chutney? The possibilities are so thrilling.

      Delete
  4. Loving that fabric. I have a penchant for Japanese fabric and patterns at the moment, so that's right up my alley. And as for using up the stash ... way to go! I love it when a project idea and stash come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh that's a cute top, might check out that pattern, would look good tunic or dress length too.

    ReplyDelete