Thursday, November 8, 2012

The Sweet Kitchen

The relative inactivity on my blog this year has been due to some major renovations at our house. Would you like to see what's kept us so busy? I'll just do room by room hey. Not too much all at once.

This was our old kitchen: funny old cupboards, not much storage space, appliances higgledly piggledy where ever we could squeeze them in. It looked better when it was tidy, but that hardly ever happened because there was nowhere to put things away.
I now show you, with much pride and excitement, the new kitchen. Lots of cupboards to put things away, drawers, and proper spaces for appliances. I tell you, I am living like a grown up at last. The tiler sighed as he did the white butcher tiles on the splashback "I haven't done one like this for years" he said "everyone's going with mosaic tiles or glass these days". Not us Mister. We like the old-style stuff.

We had some open shelves made out of plywood to go in the new kitchen, because I have *special things* that I like to look at. These shelves are among my favourite things in our new, old, house.
 

Along the window sill are some old bottles and jars. Some of them were found under the house when we ripped up the floors. Some were gifts from my late Dad, who also had a fondness for jars, like me. I wish he could see our new, old, house. He would think it's cool (although he would cringe at the thought of spending money, also like me).

It's a funny thing, spending money. My Dad spent his whole life modelling thriftiness and I am so grateful to have had that upbringing. I found it so hard to agree to spend money on the house because it seemed to work well enough as it was, but I love it now that it's so functional and so consistent with my aesthetic. Ha! Who even knew I had an aesthetic?! I don't think I would have appreciated how nice the house looks now if I had always expected it to be so. Contrasts are a wonderful thing in life. Happy and sad, disappointed and proud, heartbroken and in-love: you can't have one without knowing what the other feels like.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Goodness, what a huge difference!!! Looks great.
    Super to see you back in blogland

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda, it's nice to cross something so big off our list of things to do!

      Delete
  2. beautiful kitchen and this is a beautifully-written post. i know what you mean, you have to experience something as is to truly appreciate the change.
    p.s. thanks for the letter, a reply will be on its way tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh a letter, yippee! I love real mail, it's ace.

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing. The tiles are wonderful and how appropriate, butcher tiles. The display shelves reveal just enough interesting things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey thanks- I can't wait to show it to you in person next month.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on living like a grown up! I love your new kitchen... I also have similar old kitchen, similar thought of well it works but maybe I can see a new kitchen in my place too now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I do recommend a new kitchen in many ways. They are well designed for the sorts of things we need to do and store etc. But if yours is working for you, then I wish you many happy days of cooking in it. Goodness knows I cooked in an old kitchen for a long time and the food tasted just as nice.

      Delete
  5. It looks so clean and modern Miss Smith. Last night when we were out for dinner with my dinner buddy and her interior architect partner he said butcher's tiles were THE interior statement of the 2010's. He also said that they feature in some very old buildings in Auckland but the old ones were very brightly coloured - because photos of these buildings are usually black and white no one realised that detail until they started doing refits and finding the originals. So there's a bit of butcher tile history for you although I don't know how you feel about being so "on trend" with your interior choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! I have an aesthetic AND it is on-trend? Now that's just crazy talk.

      Delete
  6. Can you believe how behind I am reading blogs for fun these day! I love this remodel post, to lay eyes on the lovely results of your remo!
    Wonderful, attractive, and functional Hooray!
    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete