Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Sweet Suite

In many ways, our quest for a nice lounge suite has mirrored our quest for a nice house. We bought the lounge suite 12 years ago, it was imperfect but very cool in a retro kind of a way, it fitted well in our little house, and it was comfy.
We used it every day for 12 years, the kids bounced on it, made huts from the cushions, lay on it and watched telly when they were sick. It was an old friend, but it was a tired old friend, and it needed replacing.
We scoured the shops and felt disheartened. The new suites were incredibly expensive and just too big for our small house. The other old suites we saw in the junk shops had the same problems as ours. The more we searched the more we realized that reupholstering was the best option in terms of cost, aesthetic value, and ecological conscience. We searched for nice fabric and bought a roll of beautiful, loud reproduction barkcloth from Tonic Living. They posted it over and we took it to our local upholsterers who resprung, recushioned, and recovered the suite. Badabing badaboom: The suite is sweet. 


I love seeing it all nice. I also love people's expressions when they see it: some people love it, others can't quite believe that two people in the world would both choose this fabric. Another reason why we just had to marry each other.
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. That couch is AMAZING!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you back Miss Smith. Carpet and wall colouring allow the suite to fully express itself without competition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miss Smith

    Great to see you back in blogging world. I have missed your querky stories.

    Cheers

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously cool, this is a couch with attitude - love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have dreams of re-upholstery for our dear lounge suite once our kids are a tad older too - not usre I'll be quite as bold when it comes to colour, but I do very much love that fabric on someone elses couch. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love it. and i can attest that it looks just as good in person too. stylish and retro and comfy, all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i actually like it both ways. i am a fan of green but the pattern seems really fun and funky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woop woop! Miss Smith is back! I have missed you.
    I love the couch. Love love love it. I would choose that fabric too - I guess that's why I've been your friend for about two decades now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, it is perfect. I can't think of anything nicer. You get a lot of seating for your space with that couch. We could do with more furniture (and a drum kit) that doesn't have to stake a claim on the whole room.
    The vacuumed carpet sets things off nicely too of course. That's another thing I could do with.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks amazing! That fabric is fantastic, I'm definitely in the love it camp.
    We have a huge art deco 3-piece suite that we will get around to recovering one day. They just don't make couches as comfy these days, unless you want to spend as much money as an overseas holiday would cost! I hadn't actually even considered the ecological benefit but think of the awesome impact if everyone did it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. sUCH A LOVELY LOVELY REFURBISHED COUCH. You will be so pleased with it. Your new house must be so great to be in and worth all the wait. Love Marg

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well hello there! I just came across your blog after being linked here from tiny happy and I have to tell you - I love your little space here on the interweb! I think I'll have to add you to my (ever-growing, sigh) list of must-reads.

    So, no pressure or anything, but hey. I'm out here reading you! *waves* And I love the lounge before and after. Cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete