Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Even excellenter loaf, now with feijoas

Good morning friends,
Last post, after asking about feijoa chutney, a kind reader directed me to this excellent feijoa website with all manner and means of good looking feijoa recipes. Well I'm going to try that feijoa chutney recipe for sure, but I decided to make a feijoa loaf in the mean time, to have with cups of tea while I get organized. There were some great looking feijoa loaf recipes on that website, but I decided to adapt another one, since I was in the mood for a no-nonsense, whole-meal, granny-style loaf that you slather with butter, rather than a cakey fancy pants one. When I want no-nonsense baking recipes, I need look no further than the League of Mothers Cookbook, one of my personal favourites in my retro collection.
A quick browse of the gingerbreads and loaves section was all I needed to find the sort of recipe I was after. Excellent loaf. How could one go past Excellent Loaf, with its wholemeal flour, bran, and absence of eggs or butter? I hoped that the addition of 6 peeled and diced feijoas make it Even Excellenter. (Click to enlarge if you need to read the entire recipe).

The Excellenter Loaf turned out very well indeed. It's sweet but not too sweet, and it definitely tastes of feijoas, which go very nicely with the golden syrup and the raisins. It's not too fancy and it's not too plain.
It's Even More Excellenter with butter on it.
 
And Even More Excellenter Yet with a cup of tea. I think I'll go have one now. Tell you what, I'll go have a cup of tea while you have a laugh at this. (Thanks Amy). Cheerio.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. I'm afraid, Miss Smith, that link just invites me to write
    " @%*$@^ your excellent feijoa loaf with butter"

    It's kinda interesting to think what the Home and Garden equavilents would be.

    My guess would be that bus blinds, McAlpine jugs, flying ducks, vintage modern chairs (mismatched) upholstered with Ikea fabric, cafe chairs, art deco mirror collection set, white walls black floors, faux french chandelier light fittings would be prime targets.

    Have I missed anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Mary Anna, you always make me laugh.

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of feijoas til your blog, and have no idea how to pronounce it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well Kyle I had never had a feijoa until I was 20 years old and I still lived a rich and full life before then. But they are exceptionally delicious, having said that, and I hope you will get to try one at some point. Imagine a cross between mint, pineapple, guava, and mango. Num num num.

      Delete