Monday, November 7, 2011

Life lessons

I once read a short story in which one of the essential details about a particular woman's character was that she had brown towels in the bathroom, because they didn't show the dirt. I was a teenager when I read this story, and I remember doing an audible "Ewwwww" about that, which amused my mother no end. She did one of those knowing sighs and said "You'll understand when you have children".
Blogfriends, today I bought brown bathmats because I am sick of tiny brown footprints on my white ones. I am now officially a responsible adult.
I'm sorry, the details of my linen cupboard are probably only interesting to me, but sometimes my blog is a space for very trivial thoughts. I can't help it.

In craft news, the extreme busy-ness of my children over the weekend with affairs of their own meant that I had a free afternoon to piece together my quilt. Now I must tell you, better than any feeling of accomplishment or appreciation for pretty things is the feeling that I am getting better at something. I really am getting better at piecing quilts. I will never be one of those engineering types that has it all matching to the last millimetre, but every quilt I make is pieced more precisely than the last, and that is a very nice feeling.


I'm sorry, I didn't iron it to show it to you. I'm a slob like that. I decided against putting any sashing inbetween the windmill blocks for this quilt, because I thought it might make it ever-so-slightly twee. I like how the blocks become a little lost, and it gets that jumbled-vintagey-hot-mess look. Now I just need a border to finish it off, oh, and the quilting and the binding. The border fabric I chose is the backdrop for the tomato relish I made the other day, voila:

Yes, it is awfully early in the season to be making tomato relish, isn't it? Well a greenhouse up the road was clearing out the last of their winter plants to make way for the new summer crop, so I was the Johnny-on-the-spot that got 6 kilos for $5. Now I wish I'd got two bags so that I could fob some off for Christmas presents. Christmas, goodness me, it was only 5 minutes ago that last Christmas was done and dusted. This speeding up of time must be another thing about being a responsible adult, along with owning brown towels.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As an engineering type - the key phrase is overall effect!! If some seems don;t match it really doesn't matter because like an optical illusion, the eye will read the pattern as an overall effect.

    I gave up on pale towels a while back - it was the manly grubby hand towels that did it for me. Still don't get why he doesn't wash his hands as he leaves work. Little grubby footprints would rank as slightly more delightful.

    Excuse me while I attempt to correct my grammar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being two years both older AND wiser I have to let you know that we bought brown towels along time ago. That had nothing to do with filth of child but great insight into my own character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. p.s.

    That quilt is simply DELICIOUS ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wasn't surprised that you bought brown towels but that you had ever bought white ones in the first place. The quilt is superb. Pretty amazed at the tomatoes, I wonder if they heat the glasshouses over winter; must grow them in bags.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow that quilt is amazing! and yes. I think I should get some brown bathmats...

    ReplyDelete
  7. hehe.. brown towels. i need to get some. so happy to see that quilt progressing! you are a patchwork master. (mistress?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As a new quilter myself, I say bravo for putting all those pieces together. It's lovely. Will you share when you finish it?

    We have dark blue and dark brown towels now and the kids are long gone. Nicest thing is they can all be washed together.

    I enjoy your blog so much.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I second Laurie above--I enjoy your blog so much. And Ms Smirk's too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. As long as those towels are brown and not BEIGE which sounds a lot more boring and average.

    ReplyDelete