Saturday, October 1, 2011

Turning Six, with Pink Lamingtons

There has just been a sixth birthday in our household, and we decided we'd have a classic after-school party to celebrate. We did all the old-fashioned stuff: pin the tail on the donkey, an egg and spoon race, pass the parcel, and lamingtons (pink of course), chippies, and sausage rolls on the afternoon tea table, with camelias from our neighbours garden and our best table cloth to make it all pretty.

I tell you blogfriends, I am an old woman trapped in a thirty-something woman's body. Actually it's not a bad place to be. It was worse when I was trapped in a teenager's body.
But I digress. I was about to tell you about making lamingtons. These are a NZ/Australian classic. They are sweet and delicious and so peculiar in their own way.
To make a lamington, you first need to make a sponge cake. I make a 3-egg sponge from out of the Edmonds cookbook*, but any sponge cake will do. You could make it easy and buy one. Here is a top tip: you can do this a week ahead and put it in the freezer till you're ready for assembly.
On the day of assembly, make up a raspberry or strawberry jelly with 1 and 1/2 cups water instead of the usual 2 cups. Add 1/4 c of sieved red jam. I used the last of the grape jelly I made last summer. Let the jelly begin to set. When it reaches the consistency of raw egg whites, cut your frozen sponge into squares and roll it in the jelly. Then roll it in dessicated coconut, and you're done. You have just made pink, fluffy, super-special party food, good enough for a lady of 6, 38, or 88.
It's always a big relief when the birthdays are over for the year. I enjoyed my lamingtons immensely, but enjoyed my two glass of wine after the party even more.
*Basic sponge cake (from the Edmond's cookbook)
Beat 3 eggs, 175 g sugar, and a pinch of salt until thick- about 7 minutes with an electric beater. Fold in gently 125 g flour sifted with 1 t baking powder. Then, add 50 g butter melted with 2 T boiling water and fold in gently. Bake in a square tin for 25-30 min at 180 degrees Celsius.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sylvie! Wow your spread looks fabulous Miss Smith. I must find a gluten/dairy free sponge recipe. I wonder if there is one out there that is actually edible?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday Sylvie! I'll never forget taking a hockey team on tournament and the girls made the coach ( me) a special batch of pink lamingtons... With a foam rubber base! They looked great and I even pretended to try and eat one .. With suitable outrage at the chewiness ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to the birthday girl. After 13 years of children's birthday parties x3, I still love them, but this is the first year we did after school afternoon tea. I should have been doing this all along - the pre party tiredness factor of the guests definitely makes the parties less exhausting. Your lamingtons look perfect. Mine always have a coconut dandruff problem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the inspiration. I have a little girls birthday coming up so am going to give the lamingtons a go. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A note for your American readers: "jelly" equals "jello"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday to you Sylvie. Hope you had a great day. Love from Marg

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh, yum! i love the look of all that party food- it reminds me so much of my own childhood parties. happy birthday to miss sylvie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, that looks like the best birthday party of all time! happy birthday Sylvie!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Miss Sylvie. I must try using frozen sponge to avoid future disasater. I have already discovered that kiddy cold setting jelly sets way too fast for lamingtons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. how does a child take forever to go from 4 to 5 then zap straight to 6? where does that time go? enjoy these years they really do go very quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. May I ask how did you get your sausage rolls so round? and what a great looking party. I've enjoyed parties more as the kids get older and their friends are more willing to chat to you; although I have noticed that 13 year old boys don't always do chat very well with anybody over 18.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Miss Smith, even admist sadness you manage to make me smile a tiny bit and appreciate the simple sweet pleasures of life. Thank-you for your compassionate email as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy birthday Sylvie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yippeeee - I've found another lovely, lovely blog to visit!!! YOur party table looks gorgeous! Making tables look pretty for parties and other get-togethers is a super pass-time, I think! Your sausage rolls look absolutely delicious!!!
    Until next time.....
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete