Thursday, October 6, 2011

It's soooooo easy

I said to my sister, I mean my uber sewist sister, I was going to use a Simplicity It's So Easy pattern to make up some vintage seer sucker I got an Estate sale recently.
She was mortified. "Where's the fun in that?" she demanded to know, "where are the welt pockets, the lining, the tailored features?!"
Well blogreaders, I am telling you that all such tricky features are rather delightfully absent from Simplicity 2231, and I did not miss them at all.
This dress has simple raglan sleeves and a gathered skirt. The sleeve and neck edges are simple elastic casings to gather up the fabric. All made up, it's just as I hoped it would be. In fact, it's probably my most successful sewing project for ages.
Here is the front view:
And the back, with the simple ties to pull in the fullness:
It was a 6th birthday present for my wee Sylvie, and she was good enough to love it. She wore it to school with some purple leggings with silver stars on them, blue T-bar sandals, and a thermal top underneath. It was very 'Tokyo street fashion' and absolutely gorgeous. I love her style.
Well, it's almost school holidays, and in a few days we are heading off into the wild blue yonder of Golden Bay for a week or so. I'm taking some wool, a pom-pom maker or two, some very silly ideas, my two small children and my sister, some magazines and books, and lots of coffee, chocolate, and nice dinners. It's gonna be fantastic. See you all when I get back.
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. Sometimes "easy" is just what you need. And a holiday in Golden Bay too. Oh the envy! I hope you have lovely sunshine for your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty fabric! I've been trying to twist my brain around a (supposedly simple) Burda pattern and the only thing keeping me from screwing it up in a silken ball is the thought of the Smirking Sewist rolling her eyes at my pathetic-ness! Enjoy your Golden Bay break, sounds like heaven to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That dress is totally cute :)
    OH I wish I could have a week in GB. Must plan that very very soon.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress is sooooo pretty! And what's wrong with simple, so long as it's pretty??? :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think 6 year olds are generally impressed with welt pockets and tailoring, at least not the 6 year olds I know, there seems to be more interest in skirt twirliness ;).
    It is such a pretty dress, and seersucker is so summery and easy to wear. I hope it gets lots of wear during your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guilty as charged, perhaps I should change my blog to "make it smug" ?

    Gorgeous dress Miss Smith I'm sure Sylvie looks very cute in it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are arriving in Takaka on thurs. Would you like to meet up for coffee? Will you still be there then? Is that too presumptuous? I am sure our 6yr olds would play nice together.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love the sound of your holiday. i'm tres jealous. and that dress! perfect and springy and sylvie-ish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh gosh, I just saw all your replies to my comments in my gmail acct this week (check my Wednesday post for why). I will be replying to all your comments sometime soon-ish.

    I know you're a chemistry type and I left a little challenge for you on my blog if you wish to accept...when you've returned from your holiday :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok, I think I caught up on all your replies to me...check your gmail. :)

    oh, and lol on your sister's "make it smug" comment...you two crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that dress is great! i need to try sewing some clothing besides elastic-waist pants and skirts . . .

    enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete