Sunday, August 14, 2011

A parcel

Recently I promised my niece a silly parcel to cheer her up. I was all set to make something very funny and ridiculous, like an evil bunny egg cosy for instance, but at the last minute I thought to myself; "Is a very silly non-edible craft item the best gift for in impecunious student who only has a few more months in the city?" and the answer was "No".
Instead I decided that something edible, hopefully both delicious and healthy, would be just the thing to brave the Wellington winter. Roll on the rolled oats!
Wheat-free muesli (for my niece, who can't eat wheat but is okay with oats) Recipe adapted from Alison Holst's muesli recipe in "Meals without Red Meat"
4 c rolled oats (porridge oats or wholegrain, or a mixture of the two)
1/2 c shredded dried coconut
1/2 c pumpkin seeds
1/2 c sunflower seeds
1/2 c almonds, cut into large pieces
2 T (heaped) ground flaxseed
1/4 c honey
2 T brown sugar
1 T water
1 t ground cinnamon
1/4 t salt
2 T plain vegetable oil
1/2 - 1 c dried fruit
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt together the honey, sugar, water, cinnamon, salt, and vegetable oil, then stir through the dry ingredients, mixing well. Spread in a large oven dish and bake at 170 degrees celsius for 15 min. Give it a stir and bake it 15 min more, checking regularly to make sure it's not burning. Let it cool completely before adding the dried fruit (I added 1/2 c raisins and 1/2 c sultanas). If you add the fruit while the muesli is still warm it will go as hard as nasty little rocks after the muesli cools; this is the truth and I know it from experience. Divide the muesli in half, give one share to your niece and keep the other half for yourself. Store in an airtight container.
And have a good week, okay?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Nom nom nom..I love mine still warm from the oven with milk...loving the "impecunious" What beautiful England you speak! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh!
    I feel healthier already, just for reading your recipe.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh that looks delicious! What a treat! Thanks so much I feel so spoilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read through the list and realised I had all the ingredients - no shortage of nuts and seeds and healthy things in this house hold. So I may just make it for myself, but without the sugar of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lucky Annarose indeed. We've been hobbling along on porridge this winter because if you make it for one you might as well throw a bit more in the pot and make it for more. I'd forgotton what a great snack muesli is, or lunch and it's great on icecream for pudding.

    ReplyDelete