Friday, August 26, 2011

Beeswax (for minding, and furniture polish)

You know how little girls make clubs? I had a club when I was little, it had two members, me and my friend Penny. It was called JP's potion club and we used to make truly disgusting mixtures of mud and leaves and food items. It was fun.
The truth is, I still like making strange concoctions. I think that's why I like to make to make jam and jelly and household items like glass cleaner, spray cleaner, laundry liquid, and now...furniture polish. Or perhaps it's because I am a total cheapskate. Either way, I have just made my own furniture polish, and now I am going to write about it on my blog.

Beeswax furniture/wood polish
50 g beeswax
1 C turps (and no, I do not mean the cheap alcohol you get drunk on when you're 18. I mean turpentine.)
1/2 c hot water
25 g soap flakes (I grated up some of the soap I made back here)

Melt together the beeswax and turpentine in a double boiler. I did this in a stainless steel bowl in a pot of hot water over a low-ish heat. You have to be a bit careful here because you don't want it to catch fire and singe your eyebrows off. Have a lid handy to smother any flames, just in case. Grate the soap and dissolve it in the hot water. Let it cool a little. When the beeswax is melted stir the two mixtures together. Cool and then use to polish your wood floors and any wooden furniture you might have.

The beeswax was from my sister, who among other things, is a bee keeper. She sent it up in a parcel via my Mum, and this is what it looked like.
Now, my Mum mistook it for muesli and poured herself a big bowl of it. Needless to say she was very dissapointed to bite into it and find that the 'oats' were wax and the 'seeds' were bits of beehive and bees arses. Pa ha ha ha ha ha! Some misfortunes just need to be laughed at.

Anyway, there it is. Furniture polish. It made a nice job of my bookcase. The recipes for the other bits and bobs are below.

Spray cleaner
Fill a spray bottle almost to the top with warm water. Add about 1 t dishwashing liquid and 2-3 T white vinegar. Add some essential oils if you like. I never do because have you seen the price of them?! It's only cleaning spray.

Glass cleaner
1/3 c methylated spirits or white vinegar
2/3 c water
1 t dishwashing liquid.
Use newspaper to clean your windows and they don't end up with linty streaks. That's true that is.

Have a great weekend everyone.

16 comments:

  1. I thought using your own handmade soap to make the furniture polish was the icing on the cake. I would like to make this myself, if I ever get a 'roundtuit'. Funny thing was I would have put a bag of muesli in the box for Mum but was out of ingredients and then the wax took up the space. She wrote back about the first spoonful of 'muesli': "so sweet, so waxy". We had a good laugh too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny and Penny? Excuse me but that's just so cute! I bet you had so much fun together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness Miss Smith - so very domestic of you. I have fond memories of you cleaning our bedroom as a child. I have less fond memories of you cleaning only your half of the bedroom. And even less fond memories of you lobbying mum and dad for your own bedroom. Since then I have evolved, and now a paid cleaner does the trick. Still admire your tenacity on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A mouthful of bees arses!
    I think so much money could be saved by making all the cleaning products you have done.... we should form a club: one person makes lots of pots of furniture polish, one makes heaps of soap, one makes that deodorant you made a while ago, etc and then swap! Take that, Unilever!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You so clever!
    Will bookmark for 'one day' in my list of to do's ...
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. awesome work. you are the d.i.y queen.
    p.s. i'm now off to make your spray-cleaner for my own kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute post! The domestic joy I feel while reading this blog has not been dampened a bit! I can just picture J and P or Jenny and Penny as Flossy said. Your poor poor Mom! Haaaa!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! This post is fantastic, in every way. Your mum eating the bees arses! (It does look like granola...) Your sis is a beekeeper! You make your own cleaning liquid! I'm so doing that. You rock, as always. And my verification word is "naiked". I don't know about you, but that made me laugh and laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yes in many ways the perfect blog post; hilarious yet enduringly practical and very inspirational.

    it does look like muesli though. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here's that loaf recipe. 5oog flour, 150g brown sugar,2t ginger, 1t 5 spice, 2t bp and any fruit and nuts you like. keep them whole. I used 1c dates, 1/2c whole almonds, about 2/3c of some very old dried fruit (nectarines I think)and the end of a bag of mixed peel 1/4c? Mix all together with 2c cold milk. Put into 2 loaf tins and bake at 165 for about 1hr. slather slices with butter to serve.
    The name of that blog is
    www.mymilktoof.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. so many things to get busy with here, starting with spray cleaner.

    found you via tiny happy and i like what i see!!

    rachel

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is awesome. did you mum really try to eat it?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for good info. Wax polish should be used only when the wood has been recently cleaned or varnished. Excess wax application or applying over an old coat of wax will only dull the shine due to buildup. Clear wax is appropriate for all wood furniture, regardless of the type or the color of wood.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the name of your blog! And I really loved your museli story! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete