Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Evergreen

So I've been thinking about this blogging lark lately, what is it for, really? When I started it was just a wee creative diversion because I liked making things, but my life has changed over these last 3 years, and I wouldn't say that is my primary motivation any more. When the wee ones were very small I could only do quick crafty things because I just didn't have the time or head-space for anything else, and it was fun to have small projects for myself. Now my children are older and at school the things I can do and want to do have changed. Little craft projects are not required for sanity because I'm already pretty sane. I can put my sewing skills to more practical use like making curtains, but is that really blog-worthy?
Every now and then I look back through my blog and see what I was doing a year ago, two years ago, and it's nice to remember. Sometimes I'm surprised by what I got around to doing. I might have forgotten about it otherwise. That is pretty blog-worthy to me, and so here I am.

All this thinking about whether I was a seasonal blogger or a perennial blogger got me thinking about plants. (As you do, you know). I have a favourite wee plant, Fuchsia procumbens, it grows on the shady south side of the house where it never gets any sun, and it thrives there. I like looking at it; it's a beautiful lime green colour with little heart-shaped leaves, and when it flowers, the flowers have only sepals, and no petals. It's a freaky wee delight.
What, you want to see Fanny Osbourne's botanical illustration of it? Sure, I happen to have it right here.

It's not your typical cut flower, but I do love it in a wee vase in the bathroom, where I can see it all the time.
It's a consumate survivor, this wee plant. I've had it in that vase for two months and it just stays there, green and perky, because it's made itself some new roots.
Somehow I think there is a good life lesson in this.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. that is a beautiful wee plant and indeed must hold some wisdom in those roots right there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The drawing is beautiful isn't it, and what a laugh, 2 months? that's my kind of floral arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evergreen indeed! I wanted to let you know I lost your email somehow and wasn't able to respond. We are all doing fine here in the Deep South, USA! The weather has really been something to talk about lately! But never crossly. It's doing what it does along with us. Wouldn't you say?

    I've been out of the loop as of late and missing your blog. So nice to return to this lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Nana had exactly that vase, don't you know. I think my Mum has it now. I must put dibs on it ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. this week in meditation class we talked about pleasant things--your post is definitely one of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the little houses on your sink. I also like your blog, no matter how infrequently you post, I'll be here! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pondering on the shape of a blog makes me realise how I read and enjoy but don't comment : I always look forward to your posts & your sense of humour ... and your recipes - your grape jelly was really timely this year as our grape vine excelled itself .... and your blog about yr grandfather is so interesting, how those guys had to edit the truth in their letters home ... and those cute robots ... thanks for all of it

    ReplyDelete