Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Shiny, sparkley, matchy-matchy

We have this old formica table, it's yellow and grey and white, and it's very dear to us. It's been the site of most of my craft projects, all of our dinners when there were two, then three, then four of us, it's where the wee ones paint, fold paper planes, draw pictures, and do their homework. I wouldn't buy a new table if I had all the money in the world. However, the chairs bothered me. They were a mismatched set of wooden chairs that just weren't right.
I see chrome kitchen chairs in junk shops all the time, but hardly ever do I see four the same. So when I saw four matching ones with rusty legs and brown velour upholstery, I knew I must seize the moment and begin a restoration job. The chairs dismantled easily, because they were made back in the day when you could take things apart to mend them, and then put them back together. Four screws to loosen, that's all. The chrome was a little daunting as it was pretty rusty, but I polished it up with fine steel wool (from an auto shop) and "Blue Magic" chrome and metal polish, and they looked as good as new (here's the howto on youtube). Really, as good as new! The upholstery I got done by professionals- $80 per chair in case you're wondering how much it costs)- and I would recommend that for most people as four layers of vinyl would be challenging for any sewing machine (and its operator for that matter).
Posted by PicasaSo there it is. I now have a fully matching dining set and I'm as pleased as punch. And I must say, it's so satisfying to see how beautiful a professional finish is. If I had reupholstered these chairs myself it would have ended in tears, nothing surer.

10 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful they are! With the white piping and all. Well done you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these - they made such a professional job of them too - money well spent. The chrome looks amazing - go youtube!

    ReplyDelete
  3. stunning. That looks amazing. Well done indeed. Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. The chrome looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!!
    (i can't wait to sit on them.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so good Jen! What a bargain

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are so smart and suddenly I'm looking around me and thinking we need new chairs too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They're beautiful! Well done Miss Smith. Particularly with the steel wool...like nails on the blackboard for me! Look forward to a cuppa and natter on them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your chairs look awesome!! I am so impressed of your redo job. (and no I wouldnt try upholstering myself either...yikes)

    ReplyDelete