Saturday, May 21, 2011

Mares eat oats and does eat oats

And we eat flapjacks. I fancied a flapjack the other day, as you do. My mum used to make these when I was a teenager and some days they were the only thing I ate in my lunchbox. I was skinny back then.
Back when I was a lass my Mum was good enough to lace the flapjacks with chocolate icing. If you haven't tried it then I recommend it, a really dark bitter chocolate icing is just the right accompaniment to a sweet and crunchy flapjack. It's a tradition that I uphold proudly.
FLAPJACKS: WITH CHOCOLATE ICING

125 g butter
1 (generous) T golden syrup
2 C rolled oats
3/4 C coconut
1/2 C sugar
1/2 t vanilla essence
1/2 t salt

Melt together the butter and golden syrup (at this point I remove about 1 T of this mixture and save it to make the icing). Then add the oats, sugar, vanilla, coconut, and salt, mix well and press into a cake tin lined with baking paper. Bake at 180 deg. C for 20 min or so. If you like it chewy bake until light golden, if you like it crunchy, bake it a little longer.
Ice with chocolate icing: 1 T melted butter (as above), 2 T cocoa, 1 C icing sugar, boiling water to mix until it's the right consistency for spreading (about 2 T).
I ice this slice when it's hot, about 5 min after taking it out of the oven. It makes the icing glossy and smooth and perfect once it cools.

Have a lovely weekend everyone!
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. That looks YUM. For some reason I thought a flapjack was a pancake?! Huh, I wonder where I got that idea ??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delicious! It seems like everyone around here (english countryside) eats flapjack. But none with chocolate icing, that looks much more exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a 'dis-lich-ous lunch' my miss 4 would say

    ReplyDelete
  4. We eat oats too and that looks like a great way to have them. I can see that in our lunchboxes this week.What a canny move taking out the butter and syrup for the icing. Note to self to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. http://www.blogger.com/profile/16502185325030543401
    . love Marg
    dO YOU KNOW i HAD A VERY STRONG URGE TO RING YOU TONIGHT BUT i GOT HOME TOO LATE TO CALL YOU BACK after you left a messaGE ON MY PHONE!!!!!. iM GOING TO BE HOME NEXT WEEK SO WILL TRY TO CALL YOU THEN

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those look so amazingly yummy! Thanks for the recipe. You have made me realise that I did not actually know what flapjacks are- I thought they were another word for pancakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The day before I read your post, a friend here in Northern Ireland had introduced me to oaty flapjacks for the first time. After reading your post, I decided I must try making some... Two batches later we are officially addicted!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like clare, I thought flapjacks were pancakes.

    Is the golden syrup corn syrup?

    ReplyDelete