Friday, May 6, 2011

It's *that* time of year again

It's *that* time of year again. The time of year when leaves are falling, the sky is grey for days on end, and fingers start to itch for knitting or crochet.
I have just purchased enough double knitting wool to make a blanket. This is *insanity* for me because I have no patience for long or overly ambitious projects. But I was seduced, seduced I tell you, by all of these lovely crochet afghans I've seen on the interweb. Look at this, and this, and this, and tell me you're not off to buy some wool and hook.
To temper the insanity I tried out a smaller project to see if I would tire of it quickly, or whether I could potter away at it for ages. Hence, I now introduce my granny square scarf.
I love this scarf. It's my perfect combination of winter colours, combined in a semi-kooky homemade fashion item that screams "I made it!" and "laugh if you will!". As well, it was the perfect holiday project because I needed only 5 balls of wool and a hook. No pattern to follow as it's just simple granny squares (trebles with two chains between sets) and I could do it while I looked out at the ocean over at Collingwood.
Here's the back:
And the front:

And a shot carefully cropped to remove my double chin, and...other bits.

The squares were joined as shown here, but when I make the blanket (and I am going to make that blanket) I'm going to crochet in the ends (so much easier than sewing them in) and join the squares as I go (as shown here). And family, you should all be very afraid because when I'm done I'm planning to make a series of crochet cushion covers as gifts.
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. Ah ha - CROCHET in the ends. It's the thought of sewing in all those ends that has put me off thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the scarf formerly known as "mine" - I can see why you want to keep it! Can I have scarf instead of a cushion cover though please? Birthday's not too far off...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE this scarf!! So so cool what a great project

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh i love it! i expect to see that being worn every day this winter on the school rounds, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love crotcheted cushion covers and that blue would go very nicely with our couch. We also have no cushions at all in this house. It would need to be able to be washed, that's all, when the inevitaable thrills and spills happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it!! And eagerly await updates on the blanket ;)

    ReplyDelete