Friday, April 1, 2011

Small-town NZ and man-craft

With all the silence in this blogspace you might think I haven't been up to much. Well, in fact I've been as busy as a one-legged bloke in an arse-kicking competition. One of the things that has filled up weekends of late is going to a mountain bike race. Not for me, of course, but my husband likes to do these things now and again, and it's a great excuse for the rest of us to have a weekend away and a dose of small-town New Zealand. I love small-town New Zealand. I love the one main street with the tea rooms, the pub, and the hardware shop that sell everything. Usually I stop and buy something so that the shopkeeper can tell the regulars that there are loopies about.

Main St, Murchison
I know I'm normally rabbitting on about cooking or sewing or some such, but lately I've forced myself to do the most boring sewing of all, mending things and taking up jeans. See? I took up my jeans. Yes it's a thrill a minute around here! I always use jeans thread so that they look like they came from the sweat-shop like that.
And my good husband, the one who likes biking and reading the paper and watching sport but certainly not DIY or anything remotely related to it, spent a good few days on restoring an old cabinet to rehouse the vinyl collection and the *new* stereo. We have an expensive stereo now, which I think means that are finally grown-ups. He sanded, varnished, ordered glass inserts, fitted them, and didn't he make a nice job? I really like it. 
I liked it so much that I bought him a gift at the junk shop. Who could resist a lady covered in whipped cream, against a background of Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brassband? Have you ever seen something so suggestive coupled with something so wholesome? It made me laugh and laugh. Best 20 cents I've spent in a long time. 
Well that's all from me. Have a great weekend everyone.

8 comments:

  1. it all sounds good, miss smith. i'm looking forward to seeing that cabinet in real life. clever man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Smith- my computer can not see your photos for this post - the last one is OK but not this one. Hmm, I'm wondering if it's problem here or at your end?

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg - my parents (now in their 60s) have that album! i used to wonder what the heck that girl was doing with all that whipped cream & how long it was going to take her to get clean...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh la la how flash with the jeans thread, Im impressed! And I too am a small town lover

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! weve been thinkg about the new stereo thing. We have a crappy cd/tape deck that dosn't play tapes, the radio, or 'burnt' cd's & our loanly vinyl is in it's chest with the T.V plonkled on top. sigh

    ReplyDelete
  6. excuse the dodgy grammer in the last comment...one handed breast feeding typing lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. very impressive stereo 'unit' not to mention record collection. Well done. Mending clothes is up there with making jelly, it's beyond the call of duty. Sometimes my neighbour does mending for me which is the best mending of all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ah yes, Collins Tearooms at Murchison ... ace sausage rolls, glorious red lampshades, racks on racks of silly women's mags ...

    ReplyDelete