Monday, March 7, 2011

For my love

Ten years ago next week...we got maaaaaarried. The sun shone, the sky was blue. It was ace.
We don't normally do anniversary presents, but since 10 years is such an impressive round number we decided we would.
"How about a VERY silly home made present?" I said.
"...(Awkward pause)...um...okay" he said.
I'm sure his retiscence was just for show, because he secretly loves all my silly craft activities. We sure have a lot of laughs about them.
I wanted, needed, to make a wonderfully literal cross stitch motif of one of his favourite hobbies and put it on a T-shirt. Explaining why I needed to do this is like explaining a joke. Either you get it or you don't, and if you don't, an explanation will kill it anyway. I fully acknowledge that it is extremely unlikely this T-shirt will ever be worn in public. It may well end up being one of those things that only gets worn when all his other clothes are dirty and even then under a jersey. But did that stop me? No sir. This motif, man on bike, was just so hilarious that it had to be stitched.
It's from this book, and there are a suite of other fabulous designs of every day items and activities. There's even one of a woman frying an egg. Great, isn't it?
So this is the final gift: Cross stitched motif on cotton embroidery fabric using three strands of DMC cotton in assorted colours. The motif was pressed onto vleisofix and then ironed onto a plain T-shirt ($15 at Hallensteins). I pressed woven interfacing onto the back side of the T-shirt front and then edged the motif using a very wide, small-length zig-zag stitch.
Ten years, it sounds like a long time, doesn't it? It doesn't feel like it though. He has seen me at my fattest, my thinnest, my happiest, my darkest and moodiest, and he loves me anyway. What a sweet heart he has. Happy anniversary Darling.

13 comments:

  1. That is cooooooooooooooooooool. Great job Miss Smith - hope Mr Smith at home appreciates the effort. Congratulations on reaching the big 10!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on an increasingly rare milestone! But then it sounds like he's very much a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations to you both. I remember the day well; it was a beautiful sunny still day and it all went without a hitch. Take away love and our earth is a tomb.

    Ken

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy anniversary! It's a great achievement.

    Love the t-shirt. I think men sometimes get caught up in what's 'manly' or not. I know some of the t-shirts my girls have chosen for their father have been cute but probably not his first choice, still he'll wear them to show he appreciates their thoughts :-)

    I have been meaning to print a t-shirt for my Mr for ages but feel too nervous because of his restrictive tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. aww, look at you all sweet in that photo! LOVE the t-shirt, awesomeness! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bless his sweet heart! And yours! Ten years is no small feat! Happy Anniversary! And that's a lovely t-shirt. I'm sure he'll treasure it always. OR at least another 10 years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations to you both!
    i love that wedding photo.

    but i just might love that tshirt even more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! How grand. This post goes right up there with all your other "best posts ever!" Sounds like there are two very lucky people in the world! Love the shirt, the motif, and the cross stitch book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beautiful. The little cross stitch is so great; it looks like something that means you Know each other, which in the end is all any of us wants, right? Congratulations on your 10th, and many more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it. Still on for babysitting by the way. You can party up to your heart's desire. love vic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ten years ago already. That brings back great memories. I remember the delicious food too, of course, and all the fun of the preparations.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LIke Miri I was thinking - gee is it ten years already. It was fun - Looking forward to ourOctober holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. 10!! That's awesome!
    (My husband and I get to celebrate 10 in November
    You're wedding picture is lovely!

    I've been enjoying your blog for a month or so, and am taking time to leave a comment this morning. :)

    I'll be back for more!
    Happy Thursday!

    ReplyDelete