Monday, January 10, 2011

Okay then, goals.

In the last couple of days I've been thinking about this no-New-Year's-resolutions thing. I still don't have any as such, but as my sister suggested, I've thought of a few goals. Not that I want to call them that, though, even the word "goal" makes me feel like there is some unachievable endpoint.
I used to be right into goals. I spent a lot of time and energy and money chasing them, and then one day I realized that achieving them had given me very little satisfaction. I guess my new goal, if I have one at all, is to enjoy who I am, the people around me, and what I already have.
In terms of craft/cooking projects, this year I want to make things that we need, things I enjoy making, or things that make our family life better. I am less into making things simply because they're cute or because I want to be busy. My most recent cooking projects have been enormously satisfying on this front. I made some really delicious pasta sauce- 15 jars of it- using sauce tomatoes, onions, garlic, tomato paste, and herbs (marjoram, thyme) from our garden. To bottle this type of sauce, I use the overflow method and make sure that I have a good 2 T wine vinegar per 500 ml sauce so that it's acidic enough.
And remember those gooseberries? I made some gooseberry sauce as promised, but before I did I sorted out the wee red ones and made a gooseberry and almond cake, using the recipe here at Prosestitch (I used only 70 g ground almonds because I was too stingey to buy two packets). It was deeeeeelicous.
 
Well will you look at that? Now that I'm started I'm really on a roll. I'd like to read some really good books this year, do some sewing for myself, establish some new family favourite dishes for dinner, go on holiday with friends and family, and find out more about WWI so that I can understand more of what's between the lines on my other blog
There. Goals. That wasn't so bad, now was it?
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. i like the sound of your goals. not too painful at all. i'm really looking forward to seeing what you make this year- you're an inspiration, miss smith.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on you, Miss Smith - your goals sound the best kind, the ones you actally want to achieve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That gooseberry cake looks amazing. I am quite envious and fired up to go out and prune my gooseberry bushes and make it quite clear I'm expecting fruit next year. One of the gardening bloggers was talking about making lists of what she wanted to be doing or achieve and I thought that was a good way to look at N.Year resolutions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a plan for a good life however you want to label it.

    I'm glad to know the tart worked for you. Now I'm wondering if I can find some gooseberries over this way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so inspiring. Makes me want to do much of the same!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenny - hope you had a great birthday. I like your approach to New Years resolutions/goals. CanI have your recipe fro the pasta sauce please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This made me think of you, for some reaSON: http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2011/01/embroidered_inventors_lab_coat.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both of these look delicious!! What a relief it is, getting away from all that American food. Though nothing quite compares to food at home.

    ReplyDelete