Christmas is only a few weeks away, but I don't feel that panicked about it because we have a very manageable gift regime in my extended family. We all get assigned one person and one person only to get a gift for. The budget is around the $10-or-less mark, and home-made or second-hand are perfect. I tell you, we are all as thrifty as eachother and it's a thrill to see what we can get for the smallest amount of money. With that in mind, I thought I'd do a wee 20-item round-up of ideas that might interest you if you like making home-made stuff. Some of it you may have seen before if you read this blog regular-like. I apologize for that, but this pony only has so many tricks. Are you in? Cool! Let's go.
1. A panettone to show off your homemade candied peel.
2. Some dried herbs from your garden.
3. A homemade apron, maybe this one, all packaged up with a wooden spoon and a nice recipe.
4. Some homemade lip balm.
5. A jar of lemon or passionfruit curd.
6. A jar of tomato relish or beetroot relish.
7. Make some labneh.
8. A bottle of homemade vinaigrette or herb vinegar.
9. An offer to do something, like babysit or clean the oven.
10. Sew some pillowcases.
11. Some homemade pancake mix and instructions how to cook it.
12. Homemade jam or jelly (it's the tight-wad's friend!).
13. Sew a cute reversible purse, or a lunch bag
14. I like this idea to make a trivet using old linens- doilies, tablecloths, commemorative teatowels...
15. Make some cucumber pickle
16. Print some lovely retro paper dolls on magnetized sheets, cut them out, and put them in a biscuit tin, all ready to be played with.
17. Print a little village onto some cardstock, all ready to assemble the little houses and shops as great accessories for a small person's trainset.
18. Give a christmas gift to a local conservation project,
19. Or, give something to someone who has nothing?
20. Or, ditch presents altogether and all pitch in for Christmas dinner instead.
What are your favourite homemade gift ideas? Go on, leave a link or two, I'd love to see what you'll be making.