Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween (Past, Present, and Future)

Halloween past: Some time in the 1980s
My Dad answers a ring at the door, and outside are some trick or treaters dressed in spooky costumes
Dad: Hello, what can I do for you?
Them: Trick or Treat!
Dad: What?
Them: Trick or treat!
Dad:....What?
Them: You're supposed to give us a treat, you know, something good to eat.
Dad: Oh, okay then, hang on.
Dad went the kitchen and made them each a honey sandwich.
That is a true story.

Halloween, last night:
Sylvie: MUM THERE'S HALLOWEEN PEOPLE AT THE DOOR
Me: Oh, okay then. (I open the door, there are 4 trick or treaters. They say nothing)
Me: Aren't you supposed to say something?
Them: Trick or treat
Me: I guess it'll be a treat then, here you are (a chocolate frog to each person)
Sylvie: WHAT ARE YOU DOING? AREN'T THEY SUPPOSED TO GIVE US THE LOLLIES?
Me: No, we give them lollies.
Sylvie: (Tears of disappointment about how unfair life can be.)

Halloween in the future:
I want to ditch NZ next Halloween and head to Canada because I was there on Halloween in 2006 and it was awesome. Look at these great pumpkin installations in Quebec City.
And this house, which I thought was spooky any day, let alone on Halloween.
 
What about you, did you have an awesome Halloween yesterday? Comments from Canadians are most welcome.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Pa ha ha I can just imagine Dad doing that. I completely forgot it was Halloween until we had some trick'or'treaters turn up at our door. I went down to the shop and bought a packet of turkish delight because it had 60% reduced fat. I figured their parents would thank me. Perhaps there's a little honey sandwhich in me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to confess I'm a old man who never grew up with Halloween and find it causes grumpy symptoms whenever it is injected into my life. So on Sunday evening when I was unloading the truck after a long weekend of physical work: "sorry kids I'm too tired". At least they just accepted it and moved on. So maybe kids aren't too bad these days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a pretty good Halloween - no snow anyway! I'm writing from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, so snow is always a possibility this time of year. We had about 20 trick-or-treaters at the door, but some people I work with had over 100 visitors!
    One of the best things about being a kid, I say.

    Of course, if you're coming to Canada for Halloween, make sure your costume fits over your winter coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment Jodie! I always wondered whether there were any Canadians who stumbled into my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laughing about the honey sandwiches! You're dad sounds like the best. Straight from a novel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love those two stories, so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Sylvie, so close but so wrong. 'Learning to live with disappointment' is a phrase I trot out for the kids all the time. Halloween sounds like such fun over there, I've always suspected that we just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Had a chat to rosie this morning and it certainly sounds like the states is the place to be for halloween. SHe had a marvellous time but now says there is piles of broekn up pumpkins all over the place that she keeps stepping on as she walks to class.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the stories!
    We had 5cm of snow for Hallowe'en this year - in Ottawa.
    The costumes definitely go over winter coats here.

    You have an interesting blog! I haven't read much, but I just realized you are from NZ - no wonder I have never seen some of the ingredients you mention in your posts!

    ReplyDelete