Friday, October 22, 2010

The post in which I make homemade deodorant

I was thinking aloud the other day, as I do, about things I'd like to make, and homemade deodorant was mentioned. I expected my husband to say something like "heh heh heh" because he often finds my propensity for all things homemade kind of amusing. However, he did not chuckle or chortle or tease me in any way whatsoever. In fact, he said, "I'd be right into that, because whatever stuff we buy makes my underarms itch and I end up scratching like a monkey all flippin day". Now that made me laugh ("heh heh heh heh heh") because it was a very amusing mental picture. And after I settled down, I went straight to work and made us some hippy-dippy-no-aluminium deodorant. Yes I did.

My recipe was based on this one here at Angry Chicken, but I will spell it out right here because I made mine according to what I had, so it ended up being a little different. I got the shea butter and cocoa butter from here, and I got the vegetable glycerine from the supermarket, next to the aspirin (strange but true).

Cocoa butter, 50 g
Shea butter, 50 g
Cornflour, 2 tablespoons
Baking soda, 3 tablespoons
Vegetable glycerine, 2 tablespoons
Essential oils as you please (I didn't put any in, and it smells like, well, nothing. Nothing is a good smell for a man or a woman, as far as I'm concerned.)

Melt the first two ingredients together (3 min in the microwave) then allow to cool a little. Add the cornflour and baking soda and mix well, then add the vegetable glycerin and mix again. Pour into small tins or jars. To use it, you get a little bit on your fingers and just smooth it on.

You know, the wee jar above is an old friend of this house; when we ripped out our bathroom and lifted the rotten floorboards it was there in the dirt underneath. It's one of my favourite little objects, because it was like finding buried treasure. Usually it has little flowers in it, but it's got a special guest-starring role as a deoderant jar for the time being.

Have a lovely long weekend everyone, over and out.

Update three days later: So far, so good. It lasts all day and no sweaty betty (thanks Emily Kate for the phrase). It did set quite hard, though, so next time I will consider using all shea butter (which is softer) instead of the cocoa butter.

Another update: If you plan to keep this for more than a month or two, then some vitamin E is a good idea as it acts as an antioxidant and stops the oils in the deoderant from going rancid. You just puncture a couple of capsules and add it in at the end.

13 comments:

  1. so does it work!!?? after a day do you still smell like nothing?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to make some deoderant for ages but was kind of worried about the smell factor. How well do you find it works? I'm going to have to try making some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband also complains of being a scratching monkey and likes the smell of nothing. I may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm impressed!! You know, over here they dont even sell roll on liquid deodorant, only the stick kind or roll on powder. But yours looks even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be really interested to make this... I am making efforts to wean myself off having to buy anything I can make myself and its never occurred to me you could make your own deodorant. But am a sweaty betty, it would have to be very effective. Do let us know how you and your hubby find it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey very impressive. There's a monkey in all of us and a scratchy one at that. Not a good look in public. That little jar reminds me a bit of those old paste jars, paste spread that is. Significance and story bestow a different value.
    Can't wait to hear how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Smith, you are quite the daring one! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Miss Smith- I am impressed - that you even had the time and energy to organise all those ingredients and then to actually go ahead and make it.

    BTW the cinnamon oyster tins were actually $1 each. The trio cost $3 altogether - so that's even a better bargain

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well Miss Smith I congratulate you on more home made genius. Glad to hear it works, for everyone's sakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have started a trend! Lots of interest. sounds exhausting gathering all the ingredients though...
    And I too have one of those jars which I put flowers in.Not sure where I got it from but have had for years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello!
    I came to you via tinyhappy and found this post very interesting!
    I havent worn deodorant for about 4 years due to the chemical content of the mainstream ones and the fact that the natural ones gave me a really wierd smell.
    Your recipe sounds pretty simple and im really considering hunting the ingredients down (ive got some of them already) and trying it out.So thankyou! And now im off to check out more of your blog....

    Aqeela xx

    aqeelas-house.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your site, and thanks for the recipes!

    ReplyDelete