Sunday, September 12, 2010

First, you need a plan

Forgive me for being so blatantly sexist in the following description, but I am reasonably good at "girl" craft. You know, knitting, sewing, crochet, cooking. I'm not so good at the "boy" craft, like making things out of wood, putting up shelves, stuff like that. So when the kids come to me with ideas for things they want to make out of wood I feel quite nervous and inadequate in my ability to help them with it.
Harry came to me the other day with an idea for a car ramp "like Stanley's one". Stanley's dad is a builder. I internally freaked out. To buy some time, I asked Harry to draw me a plan.
Bottom left: One wide piece of wood, two narrow pieces of wood, screws at the side to hold it in place.
Bottom right: Hasty sketch of how one would use such a ramp. Propped up on a saw horse with cars scooting down it.
Top right: A plane towing a banner "Have fun". That was a good reminder for me.
You know, we did have fun making this ramp. We went to the hardware shop and bought precut 1.2 m-long pieces of wood, one wide and two narrow. (I can feel the disdain of all the handy types who are thinking- what, you can't saw a piece wood? Um....not neatly I can't. And we don't have a saw.) We charged up the cordless drill. We talked about how it could all go together, and then we built it, just like in the plan.
The cars scoot down it very quickly, and you can fit two on it side-by-side which I believe is an integral part of the design.
 
This project was rather satisfying for an unhandy person like myself. I did have a very good plan to work from, though.

Posted by Picasa

16 comments:

  1. too cool Miss Smith - totally with you on the nervous builder bit - LOVE the plan - won't be showing my lads just yet tho - teehee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, what she said ... no way is Sweeney seeing this. It'll make him dissatisfied with his rickety, borer-ridden fragment of t&g, propped over the deck steps ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, what you lack in handy dandy woodworking, you make up for in sheer intelligence. Perfect ramp!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can a ramp be cute? Somehow I'm inclined (heh heh) to say that it is.
    The story *is* cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one Miss Smith - that would also have made very nervous - along the lines of 'what's the number of our tradesperson again?" Well done you for giving it a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are both very impressed! A superb effort Miss Smith. Ian's only comment was, crikey I bet that timber was expensive....! You know he never built the original ramp, just renovated it? The original was crafted by Jack, Nico's dad. Can't wait to have a go on the double lane though. See you some time this week? Love, Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harrys plan is great. SO clever , so detailed and showing exactly what was necessary. No wonder it was so easy fro you to build the ramp with that degree of detail. Well done both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kudos to both you and Harry, Miss Smith. I particularly liked his aeroplane and banner which appear highly appropriate for both the making and operating of the ramp. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. First of all, I commend you for your willingness to overcome that inner blinch (a Piglet word that really seems to fit here) and go for it. Second, that plan is fantastic, particularly the HAVE FUN banner!!! Third, the ramp is awesome, simple but so perfect, and it inspires me to make one for my own Sylvan!
    Lovelovelove it.
    XO
    Iris
    PS We made a get well robot card for a family we know today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the plan and the project. Has it inspired you to a whole new level of carpentry-based craft?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the way Harry drew the ramp from different angles, as well as capturing the broader concept of how it would be used and the spirit behind it. He's quite the engineer!

    So looking forward to seeing you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. harry's plans are the best. i think my life would be much improved with a 'have fun' banner above my head as a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool!! You are both very clever. And putting cars down a ramp never gets old

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very impressive Miss Smith, and I love the detail and thought that obviously went into Harry's plan. (... I'm shuddering at the thought of what plans my boys will present me with in a few years...) Diane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't the 'have fun' banner an awesome detail. Perhaps the Burda patterns have some sort of equivalent secretely coded in on their patterns. I will have to show everybody the drawing, they love harry's artwork. well done to all.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cool! I'm saving this as a tutorial for Christmas holidays with my son! I love your sons plan (especially the plane with banner - that's very thoughtful of him)

    ReplyDelete