Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Transtasman Relations

Readers, you may or may not know about the funny relationship that exists between New Zealanders and Australians. New Zealand has a weird sort of younger sibling-type rivalry with Australia. We are really sore losers when they beat us at sport, and we are even worse gloaters when we win. We mock their accent in our clipped voweled voices, and we go there for holidays and then complain about how hot it is.
Like a true younger-older sibling relationship, the older sibling has no idea that this rivalry exists. Australian friends I've made throughout my life are genuinely bewildered by it all. So Australian friends, I love you dearly but I can't help my NZ urge to antagonise you just a little bit when I make presents for you. That's just the way it is.
My Australian friends Julia and Martin just had a little baby girl, and I couldn't stop myself knitting some Saartje booties out of wool that included possum fibre. Yes, I am delighted to inform you that these ittiest bittiest booties have one of Australia's native animals, plucked, cleaned, dyed, and knitted into them, alongside some merino fibre, some alpaca, and some nylon for strength.

These are probably one of my favourite baby presents to make ever. You can whip them up in a couple of nights watching telly, and they take hardly any wool. Why, I can probably antagonize another 4 or 5 sets of Australian parents with the wool I have left in one 50 g ball.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. I'm always a cynic when it comes to baby booties and what not. I am yet to come across woollen baby footwear that actual stays on.. do these pass the test? if so I've got my needles at the ready.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Mess Smeth (that's Australian for Miss Smith). I imagine possum booties must be the equivalent of having a kentucky fried kiwi for lunch. Both animals being protected in their own countries but pests in the other...(and here I'm thinking of the bondi beach dole bludgin' variety)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mess Smeth, I left a comment on your blog and now it's gone! Harumph. Well I'm not posting another one until I know if this one sticks around...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are the cutiest little bootiests and in eco-green to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mary Anna you are right, there is something weird up with the comments. That's three that have disappeared so far - something odd must have happened when I changed the page layout.
    Very mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I agree the loveliest little booties. And the possum fur will be ever so snuggly in that hot climate. Lucky ti is winter over there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Mary - It's like revving you car, running over their icon and throwing the roadkill over the fence after carefully plucking, dying, spinning and knitting it. The booties look great too - I like the green and gold touch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just to update you Jen, I haven't made the Stollen yet because our supremo in-house baker has been keeping the tins overflowing so I'm waiting for a leaner moment. In the meantime got sidetracked onto your My Kai link and am going to make my own peel. Yes, grafting onto rootstock is the key and I think I can buy them from Waimea Nurseries in Nelson.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Miss Smith, you really do have a very interesting blog. I just love it. Vxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the bootees, the pattern looks like a Sublime one i have - is it Waikiwi yarn? Love them :-)

    ReplyDelete