Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Winter colours

Now I don't know what the weather's like where you are, but here in Nelson, New Zealand it feels like we haven't seen the sun for weeks. It's been grey skies and lots and lots of rain. Winter has truly arrived.
I know that winter calls for dark colours; grey, brown, blue, black. However, sometimes I want a little pick-me-up, a bright something that leaps out from all the navy and black. I had just the thing in my stash. Not my usual fabric choice in that it's 100% polyester, but I just couldn't resist the bright colour, the apple blossom broccade pattern in gold and white, and the price ($1 per metre in the Spotlight clearance sale last year).
I had bought this fabric thinking I'd make some kind of crazy, over-the-top princess dress for Sylvie, but when I spotted it there in my stash a couple of weeks ago, I thought "I'm gonna make something for Myself".
So, I made something for Myself. It's New Look 6921, if you're interested. If you read my sister's blog you'll know that she's a rocket-scientist type of sewer. When I was talking about this top I told her I was going to leave out the interfacing and topstitch to hold the edges in place instead of understitch. She said something that sounded like this "Blah blah blah de blah blah layer the seams blah blah blah understitch as far as possible blah blah blah sit properly blah de blah blah just use light interfacing blah blah blah." Meanwhile, I thought about what to cook for dinner that night.

So I made the top, completely ignoring all her good advice, Now that it's finished I can see it would have been better if I'd used light interfacing, and understitched instead of topstitched, but you know what? I like it anyway. It's so bright and cheerful.
 
You know, I'm just getting back into clothes sewing after a very long absence. I just couldn't face big projects when the wee ones were very small. I think I really like this new phase we're in, where I have enough head space to sew a top, and to appreciate it even though I know it's not perfect.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Love the color! Very cheerful and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Job Miss Smith! It looks great! No wonder you got so many complients on it. I love how you've teamed it with a grey knit and jeans - it really makes that gorgeous fabric pop. In fact, I feel I may just be inspired to copy it except I'll be sure to blah bah blah the upper yoke piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgoues top in a great colour - well done! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't achieved that phase yet but I have been considering making some adjustments to a garment. That is getting closer. The top does look great. Is there enough fabric to make Sylvie a matching one?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great to me. I know what you mean about not sewing for yourself, it's ages since I have but I'm starting to again and it's much more satisfying than I remember it being years ago. Maybe we get over that thing of it having to be perfect as we get older. Fashion is less of a serious issue and more a bit of fun now and then?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a beautiful colour and you're braver than me, the thought of sewing shiny fabric gives me the heebies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. well pink was never my thing but you look just peachy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great top- perfect for grey days in winter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, cool colour.

    So how old are you little ones? Mine are 2 1/2 and 6 months and I am wondering when I will ever have the time to sew again...

    ReplyDelete