Monday, June 7, 2010

They're itty. They're bitty. They're booties.

I've been wanting to make these bitty booties by Heather Bailey for the longest time, and goodness knows I've had plenty of good reasons to what with all the wee babies my friends keep having. (I'm sorry friends, I am dreadfully tardy when it comes to making and sending new-baby-presents). Anyway, this weekend, being so wet and wintry and all, it was the perfect time to give them a whirl. Easy as can be, I have to say. Two pieces per bootie, blanket stitch on the edges, and bob's your uncle. I used some felt that I made by felting a woollen jersey in the washing machine. For this, I buy jerseys at junk shops that are 100% wool, and I make sure the washing instructions say handwash only. That's a sure sign it will felt up a treat. Then, I put it in the washing machine on the 60 degree (celsius) cycle, with plain old washing powder. Like magic, you get an incredibly thick felty fabric that you can use for toys or slippers or fabric boxes or little purses or anything that takes your fancy.
The pattern has some decoration ideas, and they look pretty nice in the photos. However, I am a little conflicted about the decoration aspect. Do I add something or not? I'm a little hesitant because...well...it can all just turn into clown clothing before you know it. You know what I mean? Craft treads that line between cool, tragic, and comic, and it's so easy to lose your way.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. I never ever find wool jerseys. I love the booties and I think they look beautiful with no adornments. They might look nice with a tiny embroidered 'thing' on them but I also think they look striking as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are amazingly cute. Something about the size I think because if you dialed the pattern up, to even mid size child then the charm is lost. Plain is a good idea because then they can be all purpose boots inside of inside slippers, not that a baby will be put out to play in the mud I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. woops sorry about the deleted comment - it doesn't contain any obscenities just my password by mistake..

    now I was going to suggest a little 'signature' embroidery like a robot. When it comes to craft, I think it's really rather sweet to let the inner clown loose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thay are gorgeous! I say keep them red.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a red shoe obsession that began at a quite young, formative age with a totally 70s alphabet book of photos. The "S" page featured a lovely pair of red, sandal shoes with buckles.

    I LOVE these. I love them red, but I might also love them with something small embroidered.

    Will have to make a pair for my niece!

    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your sister's idea about a little embroidered robot on the booties. LOVE THAT IDEA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are so sweet. baby's first red shoes! excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the style and colour are the features - I'd keep them plain!

    And I find the same issue as lovestitches - I never seem to find woollen jumpers in my local op shops - maybe everyone has their eyes out for them :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good afternoon. May I commission a MIss and Mr Cvil servant robot please and I am pleased to tell you I have a new job.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like these little booties. And plain red works well for me though I do like the idea of the robot signature that someone suggested. I am wondering if they would work well in bigger sizes?

    ReplyDelete