Sunday, May 2, 2010

What do you do when you can't do nothing?

Blogfriends, the curtains we talked about last post attacked me. Slowly, surely, hanging those curtains resulted in a shoulder sprain that has laid me low all week. Did you even know you could sprain a shoulder? Well you can. I did.

You'd think that complete rest of my right arm would give me a free license to do nothing and revel in it, but frankly, I was bored out of my friggin tree. Days 1 to 3 of said shoulder sprain are best not dwelt on. However, after 4 days some light activities could resume so I set about making some cards with an old 1960 NZ Pictorial Magazine.

Card No. 1. A power station. I think a 2010 Pictorial Calender could feasibly show people protesting against power stations and mining and so on.

Card No. 2. Volcano and farmland. I like this because it could be 1960 or 2010. Some things just never change.

Card No. 3. Camping by the lake. Get a load of that tent. Get a load of that lilo! Those were the days.

Card No. 4. Enjoying the outdoors courtesy of a sun umbrella. I wish I had been doing this all week, instead of lounging on the couch shouting to anyone who'd listen for more painkillers, anti-inflammatories, and cups of coffee.

 
Oh! I also started work on my new blog. It's all my Grandad's letters from WWI, typed up as I get around to it. Probably only interesting to family and military types, but feel free to go have a look. What do you do to pass the time when you can't sew?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. Oh Miss Smith! So sorry to hear about your shoulder injury. Hope it's mending nicely.

    For a few months last year, I wasn't allowed so sew or go to the gym, so I spent a lot of time flat on my back on a lounge chair reading and watching clouds go by and taking lots of cloud pictures, muttering and generally feeling sorry for myself! I thought about cross-stitching but never did.

    I really like your new robot blog banner!

    I'm interested in reading your new blog, and suspect my dad would be too, albeit for different reasons (me for when I want to have a good cry, dad because he's a history buff). The link, though just goes to blogger.com.

    Take good care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey that's the big top - Bill's tent although I can't quite tell if it's little Grahams in the foreground.
    Just as well you got sturdy curtain rails. All that warmth comes with a bit of weight I guess. It's hard to imagine a shoulder sprain but I can imagine it would make sleep difficult, not to mention everything else. Was it your coffee arm? That would be the final straw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear about your injury, Miss Smith. I have hurt my back; I'm not enjoying my own company so I can't imagine anyone else is either! I wasn't doing anything like hanging curtains, all I did was pick up a small child. Turns out he's not as small as I remembered.

    Two blogs! You are going to be a busy girl.

    Next time you are laid up for a couple of days, I would recommend you read this book (if you haven't already): "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova. It's phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen you're right, we definately need a new modem. I've been trying to leave a comment on MA's blog and can't load it on. See if your one works...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes IM sorry to hear you have a sore shoulder Jen. Like any pain anywhere in your body it makes you realise just how much you use that part without ever thinking about it. Did you get to pay yourself sick leave? THose cards are super cute too.

    ReplyDelete