Wednesday, May 26, 2010

It was a raaaaaspberry beret

Actually, it was a ruby slouch hat, but how could I miss an opportunity to introduce my latest knitting project with a circa 1984 song by the artist formerly known as Prince?
My raaaaspberry beret is not the kind you find in second hand store, no, it's the Turvid Slouch Hat, the *free* pattern for which is here (found via Ravelry, of course). I finished knitting it at a knitalong last Sunday (with generous helpings of sticky lemon slice and other good things to keep our strength up- thanks, fellow knitters).

When I finished knitting this hat it was not especially slouchy. I despaired, briefly, before remembering that my knit-tastic friend Linda had suggested blocking it over a plate, like you would a beret (who ever knew that you block berets over a plate? Not me). I used a crown lynn Royal New Zealand Navy plate, but I'm sure any plate would do.

You wet your slouch hat, stretch it over the plate, and dry it. Hey presto, slouchy!

I must also go on to dispel another myth in that song by the artist formerly known as Prince. If it was warm I wouldn't wear this hat at all, because it is 100% wool and is therefore quite toasty on the noggin. No, if it was warm I would wear a skirt and a t-shirt, probably.
This pattern was easy peasy lemon squeezy, and they are just the kinds of patterns I like. It comes very highly recommended by Me.
Posted by Picasa

14 comments:

  1. I love your sense of humour. Also the photo, you look very thoughtful...perhaps a little concerned about something...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehe you're funny, love the slouchy beret. Thanks for the link to the pattern, easy peasy patterns are my favourite too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Smith you look gorgeous - I'm totally lovin' that hat - now, about my birthday present ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that's gorgeous! I have just discovered ravelry, I'll be looking that one up, yes indeedy. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That hat doesn't look easy at all to me. You can wear it when you come down here, it's freezing - projected high of 4 tommorrow. I think it's a beautiful hat. I've made that lemon braid and it looks just like the picture. Now that really was easy if a little time consuming.

    ReplyDelete
  6. only today I said to myself "Self, it's time to get the hang of wearing a beret ..." and I was thinking red would be the go, also. Synchronicitisationalism, indeed ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the hat! I love Prince or whoever he is right now too. How old is he now? Like 50? Anyway, I am always mesmerized by photos that include you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. that is one gorgeous hat. even more so in real life! it suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to update on the lemon bread. We didn't wait the required 20 min cooling period and tried it straight away. That was good but you know what hot bread is like, better warm and by then we were full. Best of all was toasted for breakfast next day and spread with lemon honey. A must make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is the first time I've ever seen what you look like! In my mind I pictured you with long hair!

    Cuuuute beret!

    ReplyDelete
  11. that is a lovely hat you are wearing Miss SMith. It also looks very hard to make even though you say it is easy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice one Miss Smith, very classy indeed! My sister from Brooklyn was down recently and from what she said, Nelson isn't always spoiled with the weather. Apparently it can rain heavily. We know about that in east Otago too now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Miss Smith, Ros says you look like a model in the raspberry beret photo!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Miss Smith! Mary Nanna sent me over to see your raspberry beret, as I just made one too... yours is gorgeous, perhaps I will try this pattern *sigh* mine was not a success.

    ReplyDelete