Sunday, April 18, 2010

My *special* things

I love a good rummage through the junk shops. When I'm junk shopping I see all sorts of objects that make me think about other times and other places. I never get that looking around shops full of new stuff.

Here are some of my favourite recent finds.

1. My tea pot. Actually, I don't really like tea. When Simon and I first went out for a friendly drink after work, all those years ago, he invited me back to his place for a cup of tea. "Sure!" I said enthusiastically. I did, in fact, drink tea at his place. Ever since then we've used it as a euphemism for when someone is hitting on someone else. E.g., "He REALLY wants to invite her home for some tea".

2. Irish linen tea towel with crocheted edges. This reminds me of going to the King's place on Saturday morning with Dad. Mrs King was very houseproud and had lots of doilies and nicely pressed linens. She used to give us a glass of lemonade, which we thought was the biggest treat ever.

3. A cute retro board game. Sylvie is really into the alphabet at the moment, so I thought this would be fun. It reminds me of going to cribs and rifling through the living room bookcases as soon as we arrived to find what games and books they had. We went to some great cribs, but our favourite was a run-down cottage on Stewart Island.

4. A Phoenix Glassworks jar. Actually I didn't find this one, my Dad did. He gave it to me for my birthday 3 or 4 years before he died. I love the colour and the shape. This jar reminds me of Dunedin and my Dad.

Have you found anything interesting lately?
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. What a lovely set of beautiful things, Miss Smith. You know Junk Shopping in Auckland is not what it is in the rest of NZ. For a start, the stuff really is junk, not just lovely old things. Secondly, it is really expensive junk. There's just no fun going there, no fun at all.

    I do feel nostalgic for Dunedin too. I think it's the cool weather we're having now. Serioulsy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a teapot and puts 'cup of tea?' in a whole new light. We were laughing about Kings the other week. I don't know if Bill really beleived that you got there on the back of Dad's bike, precariously balanced on a pillow, legs dangling, no helmet no nothing, hanging on for dear life. No wonder that lemonade tasted good. 'Bill' is being cherished. His owner wants to get his own plaid suit to match and have photos of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOvely post there Jen. I can remember getting that orange juice made up to full strength ( not horribly watered down like we had) - I think it was called jungle juice - at the kings. I love junk shopping - especailly at Wiers - and especailly buying things I can send to Wellington and not keep at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. St Bathans tally ho. Great idea. consider us booked in for a jaunt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post highlighted the regional differences in English. A crib??? In Australia, a crib is a bed for a baby. Or a card game, where scoring is done with matches moved in holes on a board (a crib board, or cribbage board). Or in mining communities, "crib" is sandwiches or a packed meal, eaten in the "crib room".

    I gather that a crib in NZ is a holiday house (we would call it a shack - even though many "shacks" are at times more lavish than the normal home..).

    It reminds me of once being at a coffee morning, when a woman recently arrived from the south island of NZ commented on how "people seemed to have very big suctions". Even though this was a coffee morning for the local branch of the Australian Breastfeeding Association, we were all a bit nonplussed (and believe me, it was a rare event for us to be lost for words!!). In the rather strange silence that ensued, she added some comments about large areas for vegetable gardens, and we realised that the confusion was due to the combination of unfamiliar terminology (section) combined with the difference in vowel sounds between Australians and New Zealanders. More amusing than the usual "fush and chups for sex please" when serving meals for half a dozen people.

    ReplyDelete