Wednesday, March 24, 2010

So passionate. So fruity.

I'm talkin' 'bout passionfruit.
It's passionfruit season and I am very happy about that. I love them. I love them passionately. I love them fruitily. I love them raw and cooked and on top of pavlova and stirred into yoghurt. I love their funny, silly, purple-black wrinkly skins and their crazy seed-to-fruit ratio.
It was my friend's birthday last week, so I gave her the gift of passionfruit incorporated into passionfruit curd. I also made a goofy homemade card with an image snipped from the 1960 NZ Holiday Annual, because that's just the sort of person I am.
Get a load of that scenery- how's the serenity!

Passionfruit curd: Just like lemon curd, only passionfruity!

100 g butter
1 c sugar
juice of 2 big juicy lemons
3 eggs, beaten
4 passionfruit

Microwave method: Melt the butter gently and cool it a little, then add the sugar, lemon juice, and eggs. Mix well but don't let it get too foamy. Then microwave on high for 1 min at a time, stirring at the end of each minute. It takes about 6-8 minutes to thicken in my experience. Add the passionfruit pulp at the end. I strain the passionfruit pulp through a sieve first, then add a few seeds back in, because I don't like too many seeds.
Stovetop method: Heat butter, sugar, and lemon juice in a double boiler until the sugar is dissolved. Add this mixture slowly to the beaten eggs, then return to the double boiler and cook until thick. Add the passionfruit pulp at the end, strained if that's how you like it.

Here's the jar I made for myself.

Sometimes I'm such a guts I shock myself. I'm a little dissapointed with myself, because I thought this would be great in Neenish tarts. However, it was also very nice straight off a teaspoon.

Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. That looks so good. I have lemons to use up, just need to score some passionfruit. Is the picture somewhere in Fiordland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have 4 passionfruit vines, and still not enough passionfruit for curd. I was very excited by a passionfruit skin jam in a Women's Weekly book, but the nasty deceptive receipe title did not admit that you have to use the skins AND the insides.
    Maybe I need 6 passionfruit vines, or a less fruit-bat children..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious. My jam worked. Love, Vic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The computer is veeerrry slooowww today so I can't see the pictures yet. Funny you should mention Neenish Tarts. They just caught my eye this week when I was in a cake shop (buying bread) and I remembered how delicious they are. Must have a go at that recipe link. My chances of getting passionfruit in the near future are alot slimmer than me. Actually I was tramping with a father and son that reminded me a lot of "The Castle'. They were gorgeous. He'd say 'What sort of car is that Dad?' and then, 'how much would the petrol cost on that Dad?'
    Dad replied 'If you can afford the car you don't need to think about the price of petrol.' They were the 2 that scoured Te Anau with us for a chippie shop because 'there's only cafes and shit to eat at around here' (ie too fancy). We only had Louis' money card between us, with it's sorry access to minimal funds.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love everything about this post. And glad you are over your blog boredom, which seems to have gotten to me all the way over here in Maine.
    And I also adore your previous post about your gray skirt! Love the picture of you!!!
    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum I am totally with you with passionfruit - why can't they be available all year round. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes that passionfruit curd sounds and looks delicious. Since i don't have passionfruit but I do have lemons I have a mind to go and make some right away. Thanks fro teh inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. And I can confirm for everyone (or everyone who cares to read comments on old posts) that the passion fruit curd IS delicious. Buttery. Tart. Passionfruity. Everything a girl could wish for. And the card made it onto my new noticeboard. I love birthdays, especially my own. Thank you Jen, you are a very clever friend and you know just what I like! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heh! I've just finished a jar of curd my mum made me, its also delicious on vanilla icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete