Monday, February 1, 2010

Balice

Ever since I made Harry's double-headed seamonster, Sylvie has been bringing me pictures at regular intervals saying "What do you think of this one?". It look me a while to figure out that she wanted me to make a toy out of her picture, just like I did for Harry. Out of maybe a dozen pictures that were presented to me in this context, we chose this one to make up:


When I use the kids' artwork for things like this, I really try and preserve their vision. Part of me, the uptight adult part, wants to make the shape symmetrical, the arms the same size, the legs a little longer. But if I did all those things, it wouldn't be Sylvie's design, and that's just not the deal. So together we choose some fabric, and we make it up. Here she is, she is called "Balice":

Balice really makes me laugh. You can tell she has a rip-snortin sense of humour. I wish there was a little squeaker available from craft stores that made fart sounds. If such a thing existed I would definitely have put one in.

Oh dear, I think the school holidays are getting to me. Lucky it's the second-to-last day or who knows what I might write.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Oh boy she is SO gorgeous, I know she is Sylvie's but I want one too! There's something about that fabric, I think my mother made me a pinafore out of something very similar when I was about five, so I feel a strong affinity with Balice.

    You are very very clever Miss Smith. As they say in The Castle, "you should open a shop"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Love the toy. Ha ha for wanting to add fart sounds!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work Miss Smith - Balice is cooooool, please, don't pretend that it's the end of school holidays that makes you want to put fart squeakers in a child's toy - we all KNOW better than that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute-and you are very good not to adult-ify it xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it. Do you have "Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends" on TV there? All of the imaginary friends on that show are asymmetrical and crazy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Balice too! And your grown up weekend away sounds like it was such a lot of fun. Good for you for organising that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know the first thing the boy's did when we got to your place was bring out the 2 headed monster with a squeal of delight. You did well to pick up Sylvie's cue. I might well have missed what she was getting at.

    ReplyDelete