Saturday, January 30, 2010

Waiting for the moment

I'm all for living in the moment, I really am. However, this week Simon and I went all by ourselves to Wellington for a concert, and as we made our way there I loved, loved, LOVED, the thrill of antipication that I felt about the day ahead. Looking out from the ferry the sea had never looked so sparkley, the song on my ipod had never been more catchy, and the sky was blue and infinite and open and seemed to be full of the future.

I know what you're thinking, you think we were off to AC/DC. Well, never say never, perhaps I will do that at some point in my life, but in fact we went to see The Handsome Family. Ahhh, The Handsome Family. They are just so good. This trip was our first ever night away together since we had children. It was kind of a wedding anniversary present to ourselves.

We had 24 hours of grown-up time. We had long conversations about nothing. At one point Simon said "Hey, it's really nice talking to you!" and I blushed. We had no conversation while we read newspapers and books uninterrupted. We went to a movie during the day, and it wasn't a cartoon. We went out for brunch and dinner. We went to the concert and loved it, and didn't get to bed till 2 am. Simon went and looked through CDs at the music shop for 2 hours straight. I went to the Day in Pompeii exhibition at Te Papa and got to read all the captions on the exhibits. Oh my stars, I love grown-up time.

I love time with my children, too. This week Sylvie, who is 4, and I have been working on bottling tomatoes in various forms. If I'm in a can't-be-bothered mood, I just peel the tomatoes, cook them up with a little salt and a little vinegar (to make sure they're acid enough for the overflow bottling method) and bottle them just like that. But this week I was in a rip-roaring haus frau frenzy and so we made a yummy tomato salsa, tomato kasundi, and spaghetti sauce with lots of fresh garlic and herbs from our garden. Sylvie really was a great help. She chopped tomatoes for more than an hour before she got sick of it. Here are the fruits of our labours:

What's that they're sitting on? Our souvenir teatowel from Taihape of course. It was one of our favourite spots on our North Island holiday. But that might be a blogpost for another day, I think.
Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like heaven to me - at the end of the school hol.s and honestly can't wait for school to be back!

    Yummo Tomato stuff... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh,grown up tim - how perfectly wonderful! Love the robot label!!x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must have been a great trip when a ferry trip is good. Did you not get the seasickness gene?
    Tomato products look marvellous and what a treat they'll be in the middle of winter when you pop open that jar or that jar or that jar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey that was me... how did I get to be anonymous?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh the magic of a date. Even without kids it feel good to go out and be grown ups.
    We can hear the AC/DC concert booming at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great time of year for some grown-up time-the end of the holidays and so forth! Sounds like you had a lovely break.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo! I love blushing in the bonds of marriage. I mean, by that time you've already farted in front of each other so often that blushing is more rare than it was during dating, so its a really big deal because it means you forgot that one another fart for a minute. Wait, do people fart in New Zealand?

    So glad you had a fabulous time. And a big WOW on the handsome family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, Nightswimmer, NZ is a nation of proud farters.

    ReplyDelete