Thursday, January 7, 2010

The view from 37

January 5th has been and gone, which means that I am now 37. Good lord, 37. It sounds very grown up.
My very favourite thing is a nice long sleep in and then a cup of coffee and a piece of toast in bed. So that's what I got.

I also got a lovely new cookbook and a magazine subscription and lots of lovely flowers and cards. Simon made me a card with some knitted undies on the front. Now that's love.

In craft news, we've been busy with the flower press Sylvie got for her birthday. Real life Botanists still use these you know. Maybe that's why I took Botany in the first place? There's lots of crafty stuff as part of the job. Not to mention all the amazing botanical art.

I thought Sylvie might like to glue her pressed flowers onto some cards, but no, the 4-year-old craftsperson's tools of choice are sellotape and photocopy paper. Oh, and a hole punch. Still very beautiful, and a much better idea in the end because she gets to keep this, whereas cards are for giving away.

I wish I had some craft news of my own to share, but I am busily finishing things off that don't qualify as craft, like curtains for instance. Very boring, but very satisfying to see my to-do pile shrinking at such a good pace. Next on my list is...unfortunately...more curtains.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. yes, happy birthday Miss Smith! I'm glad you were showered with love and affection from friends and family. Can't wait to see what you end up doing with your sewing money but there's no shame in buying something ready made either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday! Sounds like you had a great one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those knitted undies were quite a find. Simon is to be congratulated as are you, of course. Hope you had a great day, we were thinking of you, love Miri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday!! I love that afghan in the photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated to you! I think 37 has sort of a nice ring to it, sounds kind of grand. I myself will be getting used to 35 (so middle 30s) in about a month. I always have to stop and scratch my head if anyone ever asks how old I am, but I can tell you who's 7 and 11 in this family!

    Anyway, your idea of a great birthday morning is mine too. Nothing like drifting lazily into consciousness, and so rare when you have kids!

    Glad you were pampered!
    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete