Saturday, January 9, 2010

Lotta and the very silly hat

Once there was a wonderful designer called Lotta, who wrote a book of simple sewing and included in it a pattern for a very styley sunhat.

"I'll make that" I said.

The hat was carefully cut out and even more carefully constructed, because as I said, it was very styley.
However, the hat pattern was actually for a very silly hat, because the brim was far too long and far too steep. In fact, it was more like a lampshade. A quick google search found that there were plenty of creative types cursing this very pattern. The hat was so silly that all you could see when wearing it was its insides.


My old Dad used to say "laugh, and the world laughs with you; cry, and you cry alone". Not on this occasion though. I had a good old whine about the very silly hat over on Miss Flossy's blog, and she very kindly sent me a much better hat pattern. Much much much better. Using the new pattern as a guide, I trimmed down the Lotta hat's brim by a massive 5 cm. That left a rather ungainly edge so I made a strip of bias binding and sewed it on. Then I took a photo of it so that I could show it to you, yes, YOU.


And that is the end of my story.

Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. Well it would certainly protect you from the sun! I'm planning on making a Lotta hat soon, I must remember to shorten the brim as I cut it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way better. Nice to actually be able to see where you are going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, great save! I love the revamped version better... love that fabric you chose too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL I do love your first photo. Great hat though in the end, love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somehow this brings to mind mr. men. Little Miss Lampshade, we might call her.

    Ooo, what's the mysterious looking mirror in the background. Looks like there's a ghost in it! See it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snap! Same problem, same solution;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was laughing so hard the boys ran over to the computer to have a look. It might save you from prematurely aging skin but on the other hand, broken arms and legs in plaster would stop you going outside and you wouldn't even need a hat then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great hat Miss Smith, great save.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh Miss Smith, you are such a hoot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing these sewing adventures with us with your awesome sense of humor. Here I am cackling away at the lampshade picture. I have that same Lotta book.

    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an awful Lotta silly! The fabric is similar to the sheets on my bed. My oldest cast them off long ago but I love to pull back my girly spread and find the Wild West galloping beneath.

    ReplyDelete