Friday, January 1, 2010

2010 and the craft forecast is fine

Hello and Happy New Year to you!
At the end of last year I set out to finish things I'd started, get rid of things I don't need, and de-clutter my brain and my house. Whatever I did on that front must have been good for me, because on the last night of 2009 I had the most fantastic dream:

I was rushing to a maths exam, which I hadn't studied for. I knew it would be hard and I would fail. When I got to the exam venue, there was a sign saying "Choose your own exam". There were lots of bedding plants, all laid out in boxes, and one exam option was to use them to make some kind of design. I made mine into a robot with blue pansies making up the body and yellow marigolds for the eyes.

One of my sisters loves doing dream interpretations, but I can read this one pretty well myself. You can choose not to do the maths exam. You can do whatever you like. What a nice end to a garden-variety anxiety dream, don't you think?!

So- lets talk about craft! Okay! This pink fabric was chosen by Sylvie way back in October and I promised I'd make her a wee skirty. This morning I made that wee skirty, more or less following these instructions over at Two Little Banshees. I know, I know, hers has two layers and mine has three, but I'm just wild and crazy like that sometimes.

Next, the last incredibly practical item made from the repurposed old jersey first featured here. This is an ovencloth that will stop Kelvin and Beatrice burning their hands while roasting their very own sheep off their very own farm.

And finally, since the little felty boxes I made keep getting comandeered for dolls and morning tea and goodness knows what other treasures appeal to a 4-year-old, I ripped up an old book and made these little origami boxes to sort out our craft supplies. They fit two-deep in our craft shelves like they were made for it. How satisfying.

Oh yes, and my Christmas was fine, thanks, just fine. Ate too much, got some lovely presents. What about you?
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Boy that jersey has done the miles. And still going strong. Fabulous ovencloth. Sorting/ mending/ rehoming must be in the air, new year and all that. Bill has put a back on the bookcase so that things don't drop behind it anymore and he's down cleaning the CD player with the compressor to see if that can't coax it back into action. We've had it from you, from Doug, for 15 years which is pretty good for that sort of technology. I'm throwing out paper, cleaning filing cabinet etc. love Miri ps like the dream, tell Marg 'if the coat fits, wear it'

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the boxes! they're super cute!

    thea.
    xx

    (www.spoonfulzine.com)
    (www.forthevisionaries.tumblr.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen - love the inspiration for cleaning and sorting and decluttering.What a great way to start the year!!! that's what Im doing today - cleaning out the basement and going to the dump. after that I expect to be able to dream in an uncluttered way. Last night I had a dream that had so much happening in it that when I woke up I had so many images going on that I could barely keep them all in before they vaporised.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG about the origami boxes!! A coworker of mine distributed her cookie exchange cookies in origami boxes and everyone was drooling over the boxes! Thanks for the link to the instructions!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. those paper boxes are a darn good solution to your craft shelf organisational worries and could be to mine, too. thank you for the link! happy creative new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a good dream!! I bet you could make a tent out of that jersey too. The boxes are cute, almost as cute as your girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the boxes until I noticed that you had ripped up a Richard Scarry book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Never fear Anonymous, when I got the Richard Scarry book it was already in a terrible state: the front and back covers had been ripped off, many of the pages torn, and some small and naughty person had drawn all over many of the pages with marker pen. It was in the "free" box at a garage sale. I would never, no, never ever rip up a perfectly good book of any sort, let alone a Richard Scarry book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank goodness! Thanks for clarifying that you didn't rip up a good book.

    I have just found your blog (and other craft blogs) and much admire your crafts and the fact that you have time to document it all!

    Julie (Anonymous - I don't have a log in)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks Miss Smith, the man bag has already been requested for a show and tell in my workplace, and I also discussed the recycling of my old jersey (did you know I actually designed the pattern on this one?)at a recent ante-natal class. And you are amazingly prescient re the fantastic ovencloth, we are cooking up a roast forequarter of Quasimodo (maybe Blueskin Farm does need its own blog) this very evening!

    ReplyDelete