Thursday, October 8, 2009

Blankie

A recent score from one of the outbuildings on the farm: This knitted blankie.
It's a little larger than cot size, and is made from a series of knitted strips. There's so many things I love about this blanket; I love the colours in those bright stripes, I love the knitted texture and the handmade quality of it. Most of all, I love the resourcefulness that went into it. I suspect it was knitted from a heap of scraps. Some of those scraps must have been tiny- just look how small some of the stripes are, some of them are not even a row long.
There is a small hole, which I will repair. Through the hole there is a glimpse of an old blanket, to make this blanket warmer and give it some strength. Another thrilling re-use!

And the back of the blanket is this fantastic bark cloth. They just don't make them like this any more.

This blanket really got me thinking. Perhaps the person who made it really needed a blanket. Perhaps they really needed to use up those scraps. Who knows? But they spent hours and hours and hours making something out of things that most people would have sent to landfill. I love that.
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. what I also really like about this blankie is that it is lovely to look at as well. Not recycled in an ugly but useful - recycled car tyre -sandals kind of way but in a fresh and happy kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your top photo looks like a Kaffe Fassett quilt! Love that barkcloth too. Sounds like you've had a wonderful time down south.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, that is really stunning and sort of touching too. Certainly there is a good story behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh freaky I have seen that backing fabric before. But where? A bedspread at my grandmothers? A tablecloth? I wish I could remember, I'll be puzzling over that for ages now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! The blankie reads like a scrap quilt, I totally echo Little Miss Flossy with her Kaffe Fassett comparison! So funny to think that what is chic, designer-wise, was once about something so much different...thrift and practicality.

    LOVE it.
    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing find. The thing I like most about it is that it is beautiful as well. I love the idea that the maker took the time to fashion something that was attractive as well as necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I went digging for my own treasure today and re-homed some of those grape hyacinths. Everything looks better when its being loved and cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What wonderful pondering that blanket does bring!

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love it too! it's so happy and beautiful.
    glad you had a happy holiday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete