Thursday, October 22, 2009

ANZACs

Good morning, would you like an anzac biscuit?

I love anzacs. I feel very patriotic when I make them. The story goes that concerned Mums sent their lads tins of these biscuits during the first world war- does anyone know if that's actually true? I want to believe it.
Whatever their history, they are very delicious. I made a double batch yesterday so we could give some to a kind Mum at school who gave us their family's old spiderman dress-ups, and keep some for ourselves. The chocolate icing squiggle on the top of each one is a contemporary development, not part of the original recipe but everything's better with a little choc, don't you think?
I feel a recipe coming on:
ANZAC biscuits- a traditional NZ treat to be enjoyed with a cup of tea
1 C plain flour
1 C dessicated coconut
1 C rolled oats
2/3 C sugar
125 g butter
1/4 c golden syrup
1/2 t baking soda dissolved in 1 T boiling water
Mix together the dry ingredients. Melt the butter and golden syrup together, then add the baking soda dissolved in water. The mixture will fizz up straight away. Add to the dry ingredients and mix well. Place small balls on a baking tray, flatten them a little, then bake for 15 minutes at 180 degrees C until golden brown. Your entire house will have a delicious rolled oaty goldensyrupy hokey pokey biscuity smell, and this means they're ready. Ice when cold with chocolate icing, if that's your thang.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. oohh, yum. thanks for the recipe! and for the idea to add melted chocolate on top. why didn't i think of that before?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, yum. I'd never heard of ANZAC biscuits until I met my kiwi husband, but now I LOVE them. Maybe I'll make some for a treat for him if he's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have met lots of WW1 veterans who talked about tins of anzac biscuits (mis spent childhood visiting nursing homes) so I am sure that story is true. I don't know about the chocolate, although they do look very delicious, just less anzac. I will run it by the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmm, I'd love to have one, they look so very yummy! thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yes why thank you I *would* love to try one! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Miss Smith - I hope you are having a lovely time in Wellington this weekend. The anzac biscuits look great Im going to try a gluten free version.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm afraid the biscuits were seen by the kids and their expectations have just cranked up a notch. Ah well, disappointment again. They'll get used to it. We're enjoying a wet! day inside, nice to have a long week end.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I love a good anzac and the chocolate is an improvement that would be approved of in this house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. would you go on Anzac Day to retreive that remembered recipe from your blog Miss Smith.
    I'll just rustle up a batch before I go to the Anzac service.
    Thanks
    Happy autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. my last comment didnt work properly.
    It missed the words
    'Where else' at the beginning.
    ta

    ReplyDelete