Wednesday, June 3, 2009

My sister has the coolest stamps

Hello! Here I am. I bet you thought I'd dropped off the face of the planet. Well...I didn't. But my computer did. Grrr. I love and hate computers all at the same time. Anyhoo, lets not dwell on the negatives. I still have my doddery old lap top after all. And, added bonus, I was surprised and delighted to find some old photos I'd forgotten about lurking on it.

Exhibit 1. Look at my sister's great stamp set. I am so jealous of this. I immediately want to get out the stamp pad and start playing with it as soon as I see it.

In other news, I think I might be banned from the craft community because I can't figure out the whole knitting on 4 needles thing. Seriously, I've had two false starts on a pair of socks and it's seriously dented my pride. My A-line skirt is halted at the "how the heck do you put in piping neatly?" stage, and my new curtain fabric is looking accusingly at me every time I walk past it.
Still, mustn't grumble. I have a huuuuuuuuuge bag of cooking apples to make something nice with, and an equally huge bag of persimmons. Now there's a challenge.


Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm....persimmons are wonderful. We have them here! Finally, a fruit I've heard of!

    Your sister DOES have the coolest stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss Smith I can help you with your 4 needled plight. Next craft night I will be over my snivelling cold and back behind the needles myself. Can you wait that long? Don't stop rockin the socks! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't worry. I can't even knit on two needles! I'm great with fabric-awful with wool. And those stamps are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen - Hey I was very happy to see those lovely stamps on display. They originally came from wrightson neil ( no longer in existence) and I think they used them for things to do with wool sorting and storing and shipping papers for wool and the like. Dont abandon the knitting. I am perservering with that cardigan that is knitting itself into an entirely new and original pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the wobbly lettering. It looks so beautifully haphazard. It's also nice to read where they came from, from Marg (above).

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh i love those stamps!! DPNs arent for everyone, maybe you should google magic loop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister takes the most beautiful blog photos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 4 needles just feels wrong wrong wrong. I figure there must be a decent 2-needle sock recipe out there, but I've yet to find it.
    Good luck on that one ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well its certainly hard to pick but I think THIS post might be one of my all time favorite of our posts, because it has really pretty photos and its about you and Mary Anna. I've had trouble with the four needles thing too, but I have this friend who's a knitting genius and she coached me through it. But, still, at some point she has to go back to her own house. She wants me to get Skype, so I can call her and show her things "before I make any big craft decisions" and she can approve. ha! Probably a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hate four needles and have completely abandoned the idea, mostly because of soreness in my wrists that develops when I am working on tiny things. I get tense.

    DON'T Despair! There are clever crafty folks out there who have discovered a lovely alternative. Here is a method on Youtube for knitting socks on two circular needles (but you can knit anything with 2 circulars that you would knit with 4 dps):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWPGXoEJuGQ
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWPGXoEJuGQ (this one is with the 2 circular expert who literally wrote the book on it)

    Two tips: the needles must be at least 24" and I love the Addi Turbo brand for their smoothness!

    Good luck! And love those stamps!
    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete
  11. I pretty much love everything about these stamps... When I was little I would pull them out just to put them back in order. Think the finger one is my favourite

    ReplyDelete