Sunday, June 7, 2009

June is for fabric flowers

Goodness knows I have a heap of sewing projects that need finishing, but this afternoon when I got out my sewing machine I had a new project in mind- a fabric flower brooch.
I've seen the sweetest fabric flowers lately. Lucy had a tutorial for some sweet little japanese ones on her blog recently. Then, there was New Zealand's Next Top Model on Friday night. Did anyone notice that Sara was wearing a beautiful red fabric flower during the final judging panel? That's the one for me, I muttered to myself inside my head. It was my very own Saramail moment. I just knew the ties I've been collecting would come in handy for something.

To make this, I unpicked an old tie, pressed it flat, then cut it into a long rectangle. Ties are already cut on the bias, so that helps with making something like this that has a lot of movement in it. I folded the rectangle in half longways, ran a gathering thread along the bottom, then gathered it into a long strip. The rest is all handsewing, just folding it around a little by little until it made a flower shape, putting in stitches as I went to hold all the folds in place. Then a felt circle on the back, and a brooch pin. Easy!

And here it is, glamming up my decolletage. That's a sewing word you know. Happy Sunday to you!

9 comments:

  1. I love it - looks great - I am feeling a little craft envy and for the fact I missed the $1 fabric at Spotlight too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! (And I don't have to be a size 6 to wear it-unlike EVERYTHING else on NZNTM!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it looks fab! And a great way to use ties - I love the fabric in some of them but could never think of how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty, what a great idea for ties, I seem to have a big collection of ties too! The fabrics are so cool I can't leave them behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute!

    And dont worry there is plenty of june left to get to all the rest ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I've nominated you for the "One Lovely Blog Award"... have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely, just lovely! What a beautiful way to use up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this. Love love love it. What a great way to use a tie.

    Now here's something of interest to all word pedants out there. Decolletage refers to the seam or necklines on the chest - so, well done you, it is correct to say that the tie lies on the decolletage, because it is near the facing.

    Decollete refers to the chest itself.

    I know you all thrilled, as I was, to be thus enlightened.

    ReplyDelete