Thursday, May 14, 2009

Must. Watch. Television.

I bumped into an old friend a few days ago, who said "You haven't been blogging much lately". "No" I said "I'm not making much because I have an overwhelming urge to watch telly and do nothing". It's true, I'm totally into the Mr Asia Story, I just freakin' love hearing kiwi accents in such a great tv show. No cultural cringe whatsoever. Oh, and I happily watch a lot of other stuff, too.
Anyway, getting back to the conversation with my friend. She then said that actually she didn't particularly care what I was making and that she just liked reading about whatever. How's that for liberating? I now feel I can do a random post about whatever, with no shame.
First, I've been going through my plant photos to make a new batch of cards. Sigh, I love plants. Here are some lichens on a rock.

Fern fronds with parallel sori on the frond's abaxial surface. See? I speak botanist fluently.

Green split peas, because I'm just about to make my sisters incredibly delicious and economical pea soup recipe...

(Cook 2 medium or 1 large onion in butter or oil until transparent, add some bacon and cook a little longer. Add 2 stalks of celery, chopped, 2 grated carrots, 3/4 c split peas, 1/2 c red lentils, and some water or stock if you have it. Simmer until it reaches the stage you like it. Puree if you like. Serve with extra crispy bacon crumbled on the top).
Do you want to join in? Go on, tell me something random. There's no shame in it.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. My friend told me the same thing which led me to believe it was quite alright to talk shit on my blog forevermore. I barely do any crafting now. It's rad.

    That wasn't particularly random... I just wanted to express that I agreed with your friend. Yuhuh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More stream of consciousness than random but...

    There is a skin disease of unknown origin called Lichen Planus. It spreads out very much like lichen on a rock but it's on your skin and you can get it ANYWHERE! In your mouth, extremities, your lady bits....absolutely anywhere. It's not fuzzy though. It's flat-topped and silvery shiny. It can recur and go on for months to years.

    I should also tell you that I plan to get a T-shirt that says, "Kiss my abaxial surface."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was all ready to write something random... only to discover that I had to think about what random thing I wanted to write.

    This is as good as it gets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have any original thoughts at the moment, skool is really taking it out of me. Last night I sat and watched sky digital music. If you don't have it, all you see is the blue channel number making it's way across the black screen. Very soothing. I watched it for half an hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You wrote something! Because I haven't subscribed yet (shame on me) I have been checking and re-checking obsessively for days now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes Miss Smith I am a great fan of your blog so don't think you have to wait for cool craft for every post.

    Random thought .. can't wait for another round of NZ's next top model, So much better than the US one. Only I'll have my knitting of course, so I will be telly watchin' and craftin'

    ReplyDelete
  7. Random: Okay, Glen has been talking and talking and talking nonstop about bugs since 5 this morning and I think I might collapse into a coma. Oh, he just moved onto eagles and caterpillars. How is this related? Someone please help me.

    What's this show with kiwi accents? I need it! I need it! I need it!

    Does your hubby ever say "Speak botany to me," or really you could say that to each other. ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. my random thought: what to cook for dinner tonight?

    no inspired thinking at the moment, just the mundane household stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous post. Beautiful pictures. I'm such a fan of your blog.

    ReplyDelete