Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Harmless Hobby No. 128: Community Cookbooks

I'm sure it won't surprise you to know that I am an avid collector of quirky sweet ol' community cookbooks. Sometimes I buy a wee stack of them and leaf through them like coffee table books. The old cakes and puddings are my favourite sections.

Every single recipe in the book below has apples in it because it was put together by the Moutere Hills Wives. If you didn't know, the Moutere used to be full of orchards. Now it's full of grapes. This book is missing the cover, but still has the foreword by Betsy. Isn't she FANTASTIC?! And I mean that in a good way.


Sometimes I get the giggles reading the old hippy dippy cookbooks too...


This Sunflower cookbook has the sweetest Cream of Comfrey Soup recipe. Can you read it? "Only lightly heat, otherwise you will kill this living soup that wants so much to nourish you."



Oh puh-lease! It's only soup!

But I digress, today is the day I pick a winner for Larry. I used this random number generator, because it uses atmospheric noise to generate true random numbers and its creators are so proud of it. The integer selected at random was no. 7. Let's see now, excluding the deleted comment, no. 7 works out to be....Speckled Egg. Right then! I'll email you for your contact details and send him off. Thank you to everyone who left a comment.

Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. Oh I have a thing for these community cookbooks too! I've even thought of posting some of the funnier recipes, like the one I have that says, "Put salt on roast. Put in oven." or something about like that. I didn't comment on your larry post because I mean I can't hog all the robots and I didn't want to make model 4u jealous you know, but don't think I didn't want to get my hands on that handsome Larry. That hippy soup is too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited that Larry is coming to live at my house! Love your work, Love your robots, LOVE this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a bit of a thing for those books, too, I must admit...and I just love Betsy. I think she is truly fabulous. Who wouldn't want Betsy in their kitchen, whipping up a lovely batch of afghans?

    J

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do they think blending it at high speed does? If anything would kill me, that would and I SO want to nourish you. Betsy does, too.

    And I'm very impressed with this Stephen Hawking number generator thing. Well, I know Stephen Hawking isn't really affiliated with it but I just wanted to type his name. I did it twice. I'm good for now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - Betsy has the coolest glasses. I love the neckline and brooch on her decolletage. (this being the correct word for the neckline edge of a garment)

    Betsy your style rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS I couldn't resist: - here is her story:

    http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/DNZB/alt_essayBody.asp?essayID=5E10

    Betsy you had a great life to go with that great look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WHoah! Mary anna knocked my socks off with that link to Betsy's biography.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Why can't we be neighbors?!

    I am going to keep a sharp eye out for a Maine community cookbook...We have many books donated to our library for an annual book sale. I may just find a good gem in there for you!

    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete