Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Le Montage

Lemon montage. Le montage. Pah ha ha! Ah I crack myself up.
Anyway, here's what I did with 25 lemons.
Lemon and sultana muffins x 2 batches: 5 lemons.
Plain old cooking, like lemon wedges with fish and lemon juice in vinaigrette: 5 lemons.
Four went mouldy before I did anything with them. I'm being honest here.
And I used 11 to make lemon squash. The recipe I usually use has epsom salts in it, which I didn't have, so I made a different one that turned out just as good, or maybe even a little better.
Here it is: 1 c lemon juice, 2 t tartaric acid, 2 t citric acid, 1 and 1/2 c sugar, 1 c water, finely grated rind of 3 lemons. Heat together everything except the lemon rind, stirring until all the sugar is dissolved. Add the lemon rind, cool a little, then bottle. Make a cute little label if you are going to show it on your blog. Yes, I admit it, I made that label just for you. Makes about 750 ml concentrate.
Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Wow! Sorry to be ignorant, but what's lemon squash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...what Christy said!

    Here, squash is a vegetable. There it is a lemon? And you still haven't answered my wondering's about Sultana. Are you still angry that I went to see Flight Of The Conchords?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I love lemons and always have some on hand at home. When I roast chickens I stick lemons inside them. And we're still churning out dozens of lemon sultana cakes. Can I say addicted?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lemon squash is lemon cordial. You mix a little of it with water or soda water if you want it fizzy. It tastes great. Like lemon drink in fact plain or fizzy. Also Jen I have to say I loved the laptop bag. Can you send me the pattern. I might make one for Rosie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo yes send Marg the pattern Rosie would love a laptop bag like that! It is very cool, and so hard to find nice laptop bags. Lemon squash looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. pa ha ha I found your post very funny today. Specially the honest bit about the rotten lemons and doing things just for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Doing things for the blog... I know what you mean... but I also look at it this way: I'm doing things just for my blog buddies... aaawwww...

    I love the smell of citrus fruits. I'm on the lookout for the perfect citrusy lotions. The ones I've found smell too much like lemon Pledge, giving the impression that I love to dust my wooden furniture. Not.

    ReplyDelete