Monday, April 27, 2009

Craft Camp

Once or twice a year, my craft buddies and I take off for a weekend of hard-out craft. It is extremely busy. There is wine to be drunk, chocolate to be eaten, cable tv to be watched, magazines to be read, chatting to do, and frenzied craft activity. It's a big job to fit it all into 42 hours.
We don't go far, oh no, driving for more than, oh, 25 minutes would seem like hard work. So we go all the way to Mapua, where there are good shops and cafes and lots of cute holiday houses to rent.
This time I really did get some serious crafting done. I knitted a little, mended my favourite winter trousers, and sewed two matching pillowcases. Here is one of them.

I like to do a wee ziggeditty zaggeditty thing down the seam, see?

And I was going to cut out skirt C from this fabric, but I had doubts at the 11th hour about the fashion sense of it all. My craft companion said, with a furrowed brow, "I think you are right to be worried."



Hmmm, yes the entire skirt in brown and blue woollen plaid might have been a bit matronly, but I still love that sweet and slightly dorky woollen fabric, and I so want to wear it in some form. What are your suggestions, readers? Make the skirt using the wool only for the front the panel, with the rest in corduroy? Add a trim? Bias tape? What are you thinking?
Posted by Picasa

12 comments:

  1. I like that fabric :-) Maybe if you added some funky pockets and did something cool with piping picking up the pale blue around the edges of the pocket and in between the waistband and the skirt?

    There's definitely potential there....and what's wrong with dorky, anyway? Isn't it the new black?

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jen on this one. Methinks a subdued yellow, perhaps a lemon would go nicely as trim. And think of the potential, you could curtsy in skirt C! ha ha ha :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a sucker for woollen A line skirts. Is that an orange accent in the fabric? I think orange piping would look awesome around the yoke and maybe a giant orange and blue flower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go for it - I love the A line skirt idea in plaid. (Make sure you match it at the sides though coz you know I'll be inspecting it..)

    I would almost be inclined to do the yolk in a plain fabric to pick up the colours of the skirt and avoid matching issues...

    There is also this cute skirt pattern which I rather like the idea of - if you wanted to go "super gran" you could do the longer mid calf version!


    http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?dvPage=designFrontBack.cfm&design=2758

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yeah! Super Gran it! I really do like the idea of longer length.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you totally have to do this! I've been looking around for the right fabric to make a plaid winter skirt for myself... short, A-line, maybe with inverted pleats? Is there a rusty orange in one of the stripes? That would be a cool colour to pick out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Matronly be damned. Plaid rules. A-lines are genius.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I dig that fabric and I would wear it in any sort of fashion. Go for it! You couldn't look matronly if you tried, not with your cute lively attitude. Oh your craft weekend sounds so fun and fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go all plaid on the bias so you get diamonds kinda, y'know?

    Craft Camper Lx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would only use that fabric for the waist peice section and use something else for the rest. It's a cute pattern though. Thnaks for the felted bag recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That Simplicity pattern looks so cute. The yoke would be cute bias, I think, or vice versa? Maybe you could make the plaid up into a yokeless skirt, more of a pencil shape, and do this skirt in something else? I don't know if you are a denim person, I could see that plaid with denim, and it would make it less old-fashioned, although I don't think it is outdated or anything, in and of it itself. Just my two American cents... I don't sew as much as I used to, so bear that in mind, but can't resist an invitation to comment on fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete