Sunday, March 22, 2009

Sewing Purgatory


Is it any wonder I don't feel like sewing, when the top three projects on my list at the moment are so DULL? The three things I must do before moving onto anything fun are mending my favourite winter trousers, making curtains, and making 15 cushion covers for the preschool, all with zips. Hmmm. Putting zips in doesn't scare me, but putting 15 zips in does.

Actually the curtains won't be so bad. I've always liked ticking, and once they're done I think they'll be cool. It's just the measuring, then pinning and sewing those long, straight, boring seams and hems that makes me a little unexcited about the project.

In those personality tests that large organizations do to motivate their workers, one of my strongest personality traits was that I like to get projects finished. This is good, because you tend to have lot of things on the go, but it's bad if you only enjoy them when they're finished, because you spend most of your time working towards that, and the moment itself is so fleeting.

So, I will make an effort to stop thinking of these three projects as things that must be got out of the way, and try to enjoy the sewing on the way.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. ugh...I hear ya. Sewing curtains is one of my most detested sewing jobs...right up there with hemming other people's trousers.
    Still, it's liberating, isn't it, once all the duty-sewing is over and done with?

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend,

    J

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's like you've looked into my project basket. AS well as trousers needing new elastic, I have a bolt of red ticking waiting to be curtains too. I just can't get the clear time or floor space to get it done, oh and I'm not looking forward to crawling over the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll do your zips if you come and help me with 20 costumes for King Lear!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all of the inspiration you give me~ ALL those zips?!?! Yikes.

    I have nominated you for the Lemonade Award:
    http://craftingmamalibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/03/generosity.html

    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete