Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Maisy Quilt

Craft, my old friend, I'm back. Let's talk about quilts.

I once made a quilt, I was 17 and my sister was making one so I made one too. She paid attention to colour, style, and technique. I paid attention to none of those things. I used whatever fabrics we had at home so it turned out to be a hideous mixture of old school uniforms, 1980s taffeta bridesmaids fabric, and whatever else we had lurking around. It was ghastly, but it was a good lesson that can be summarized as follows:

"You can waste a lot of time seeing through a bad idea".

Skip almost 20 years and I've learned that lesson over and over, but lets not go there.
Anyhoo, some of my crafty mates have been making quilts lately, beautiful quilts that are all about the fabric and are quite easy. I was inspired to give quilts another go. This time I tried the approach commonly known as "see something you like and copy it", namely, Maisy's quilt:

"Hi Maisy, I like your quilt"
And here's my one:

I had fun choosing all new fabrics for this, it's not something I often do actually, being a bit of a junk shop junkie. I chose fabric that was more or less a block of each colour. My favourite, the matroyshka dolls.
The sewing was also fun because these are 10-inch blocks so it went together in half-a-second-less-than-no-time. And the quilting was just 6-mm from each seam so that was easy-squeezy too. I still need to finish off the binding, but that's all.
Have a lovely weekend!
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Ah, Jenny, it looks wonderful!!! Maisy would be proud to have it on her bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I believe that original quilt is the same one you had when we flatted together and I would have to dispute the comments about its aesthetic value, I always thought it was lovely (although admittedly it was difficult to see the detail, what with all the recipe books sprawled across it). But the Maisy quilt is gorgeous; who is the lucky person who gets to have this on their bed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this is very nice. I have a polyester wreck in my closet that sounds very much like your teenaged-quilt undertaking. I didn't sew it or quilt it but I picked all the fabric. Someone really should've hit me with a shovel....it's almost like a crime against...quiltdom.

    Thanks for adding me to your blogroll. Oh yes, I noticed...wink wink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is gorgeous and I am so very pleased to see you have your camera back!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! Glad you are happier with this attempt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea - I love Maisy...

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a neat idea! I have this coloring page I kept from girlhood because I like the way I colored the quilt in the picture. Maybe I'll...I don't know, I'm getting a little tired just thinking about it. I don't think I have your stamina. It's a lovely quilt. I love the colors and the plain squares.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Maisy Quilt rocks! I want to make one now. Awesome quilt, Miss Smith. Glad to see you can now take pictures again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great quilt! Perfect Maisy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely gorgeous! I think you've just inspired be to give a similar quilt a go for my parents' anniversary...

    ReplyDelete