Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I heart Dunedin


Oooooh I love Dunedin, me. I do, I do. I wish I was here for a happier reason, but my Dad, my dear old Dad, is in his final days, and we are all descending on Dunedin to say goodbye. We are lucky, though. It's a privilege to know someone you love is dying, so that you can tell them you love them, and say goodbye.

Anyway, I spent today at the hospital, but on the way back to my sister's place I got to do a spot of junk shopping. It's been years, probably 10 even, since I had a good look in Dunedin junk shops, and my feet went on autopilot straight to my favourite sections- the haberdashery, the fabric, the patterns, the books and magazines.
I love this Woman's Home Journal, back from the days when it was okay for models to have wrinkles around their eyes and eyebrows au naturale. And be honest, have your ski clothes gone gay? Because there's no shame in it.

11 comments:

  1. Oh I see, 'ski clothes go gay' not:
    'Ski clothes.
    Go gay'.
    I thought there may have been some useful information for how to go gay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear about your Dad, it's nice you are able to say goodbye. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found a little comfort junkshopping in Dunedin. I'm keeping you and Maryanna in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so sorry to hear of your Dad's illness. You are right though that being able to tell him you love him and say goodbye is a precious gift, though it doesn't make it any easier. Wishing you peace and lots of homecooked family meals.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please explain... I feel foolish. What does "gone gay" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  6. In 1963, when this magazine was published "ski clothes go gay" meant something like "stylish ski clothes". Now of course, ski clothes going gay is just a very amusing turn of phrase that can mean whatever you like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its lovely that you are able to say goodbye. Sorry to hear that he is so ill. It's good you've managed some theraputic op shopping. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I agree, it is a privilege to know, though sometimes it really doesn't feel like it. I'm keeping you in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your father. You are very wise to see the positive in being able to say goodbye.
    I heart Dunedin too, and I love your robots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I'm so sorry to hear your father is dying. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your Dad. It is nice to be able to say goodbye though isn't it? I was able to farewell my grandad and I really appreciated the time I had with him.

    I need to visit your junkshops! They never have such rad stuff in the shops I go to. Or maybe you are just extremely good at ferretting out the good stuff...

    Am thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete