Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Pride before a fall


I always laugh to myself when I'm making a pattern out of the Lotta Jansdottir book. It's just that the directions are, well, so very detailed. E.g. "Using your scissors, cut carefully around the pattern pieces" (Oh good, I won't bother using my can opener then Lotta...)
Anyway, as I sewed these kitchen accessories I chuckled haughtily, congratulating myself on what a clever sewer I was. I cut out the oven glove from a great piece of retro cotton, made a matching oven cloth, lined the oven glove with a nice contrasting fabric, made the bias tape, and finished it off with tidy hand stitching.
And then I realised I had made it left-handed.

Lotta, in your next book, please give more detailed directions. E.g. "check that you are cutting out your oven glove to be right handed, if you are right handed."

Thank you.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. It is still gorgeous tho' Miss Smith. And there's still plenty to be smug about with your execution of that bias trim. (Not easy, sewing bias evenly because it is SUCH a bitch to cut out)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH! I'm not supposed to use the can opener when I cut out patterns? Well, no wonder things haven't been turning out.

    It's beautiful and will make a left handed person very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey did you know I am left handed Miss Smith???? I am sure there was a cosmic reason for those directions being so vague. Have had a couple of letters from Grandmama looking forward to our visit at chirstmas so now that Annarose is home and more rested and I also we may well still come up. Still in the thinking stages though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss Smith,
    So funny! I was JUST examining the potholder pattern once again in the Lotta book...and ONCE AGAIN concluded it scared me a bit too much, and passed it by!
    Thanks for the tip, I would have fallen into that trap as well.
    XO
    Iris

    ReplyDelete