Friday, November 7, 2008

No photo this time. But it's still about craft.

A few weeks ago, maybe it was even a couple of months ago, my friend Kelvin sent me the link to his brother's website. His brother Murray is a photographer, who among other things, has captured some wonderful images of New Zealand Christmas scenes. Kelvin also noted that there was an audio visual about his father, who died of motor neurone disease.

Tonight I finally watched that audio visual, and I am so glad I did. I loved seeing images of this person, who I never met and who I only know as his genes that I see expressed in his son, living his life as a lighthouse keeper. Being the crafty and kitcheny type that I am, I noticed the jam on the bench top and the ric-rac trim on the wheelchair accessories. To me, these things spoke of someone making things by hand, things that added to the life of this person. Like one of my other favourite blogs, I thought this audio visual was so brave and so generous in sharing human vulnerability and love, and a wonderful sense of family. I also laughed quite a lot because these photos were taken more than 15 years ago, and Kelvin still wears that same bush shirt but with a lot more darning in it. See Kelvin? You are crafty and you don't even know it.

http://www.murraylloyd.com/abrilliantlife/abrilliantlife-large.php

2 comments:

  1. I'm proud to be your friend Miss. Smith. I knew there was something special about you the first day I saw that blue robot, all quirky, unique, and made with love. It turns out you have a very compassionate heart to go with your craft.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well brother Murray will be gratified with this feedback and I must direct our mum Sue to it as well. Once us kids left home she threw out the knitting machine that had knitted many of our jerseys and her crafty side came to the fore with spinning, knitting and felting!

    ReplyDelete